Healthy Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt
Say hello to your new go-to high-protein, healthy lunch recipe! This Healthy Egg Salad recipe swaps out mayo for Greek yogurt and adds celery, onion, and fresh parsley for flavour, nutrition, and crunch. Serve this Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt on a sandwich, bed of greens, or with crackers. You can even meal prep it for an easy lunch throughout the week!
Why You’ll Love It:
There are so many reasons to love this healthy egg salad recipe!
- High protein: The main ingredients are hard boiled eggs and plain Greek yogurt, which are both fantastic protein sources that help to keep you full.
- Flavourful: This isn’t a boring egg salad. It’s packed with delicious, tangy flavour from dijon mustard, fresh parsley, paprika, pepper and salt.
- Great for meal prep: This recipe makes 3 servings, so you can prep it at the start of the week for a quick and healthy lunch during busy days.
Is Egg Salad Healthy?
As a Registered Dietitian, I’m here to tell you that egg salad is absolutely a healthy option! This greek yogurt egg salad is particularly nutritious thanks to the use of plain Greek yogurt and added vegetables.
I love making Greek-yogurt recipes because it’s a creamy, nutritious, and high-protein alternative to mayo and/or sour cream. I like to use Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt because its thicker and has a higher protein content.
Other things that make this egg salad recipe with greek yogurt healthy are, of course, the eggs!
Eggs are a highly nutritious, versatile, and affordable source of protein. They’re also rich in healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin D, choline, selenium, as well as the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.
Ingredients for Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
- White wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- White onion
- Fresh parsley
How to Make Egg Salad Without Mayo:
- The first step in making egg salad is to prepare and peel hard boiled eggs. You can follow whatever method you prefer. I don’t do anything special besides bringing eggs to a boil in a pot, reducing the heat, and cooking for approximately 9 minutes. Then, I place the eggs in a cold bath for 5-10 minutes until I’m ready to peel them.
- Next, chop the eggs up. At the same time, you can finely chop the celery, white onion, and parsley.
- Then in a mixing bowl, combine the plain Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, paprika, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth and well-combined.
- Add in the chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, and parsley. Stir to combine.
And voila! You have a delicious Greek yogurt egg salad.
If you don’t have all of the recipe ingredients on hand, or you’re just looking to switch things up, here are some things you can swap in:
- Tuna or salmon: Instead of egg salad, make it a tuna salad or salmon salad with greek yogurt!
- Yellow mustard: This can be used in place of dijon. You can also use any other mustard variety you have.
- Red or green onion: No white onion? That’s fine! Swap it with red onion or chopped green onion!
- Lemon juice: I use a splash of white wine vinegar to brighten up the flavours, but lemon juice works just the same.
- Dill or chives: No parsley? Add flavour with other herbs like dill or chives. You can also use dry instead of fresh if that’s what you have.
How to Serve Greek Yogurt Egg Salad:
There are several ways to enjoy this egg salad with greek yogurt.
Of course, you can enjoy it between slices of bread as an egg salad sandwich, but you can also serve it:
- Over a bed of lettuce or other leafy greens
- In a pita or wrap
- With crackers for dipping
- Open-faced on toasted bread
Meal Prep and Storage:
The great thing about this recipe is that it makes 3 servings, and keeps in the fridge for 3 days. So you can make it once and have lunches for several days ahead!
I recommend keeping it stored in the fridge in an airtight container, separate from any bread, crackers or grain products (because they’ll get soggy).
Because it’s made with Greek yogurt, some of the liquid may separate out, so just give it a good stir once again before serving.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Healthy Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the plain Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, paprika, salt, and pepper until smooth and well-combined.
- Add the chopped up hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, and parsley.
- Stir everything together until well-combined.
- Serve on a sandwich, bed of leafy greens, with crackers, etc. Enjoy!