Easy Tofu Fajitas
Add these Easy Tofu Fajitas to your list of quick and healthy meals to try! This vegetarian recipe can easily be made vegan, takes less than 30 minutes to make, and is packed with plant-based protein and nutritious vegetables.
Fajitas have been a staple healthy dinner meal in my family since I was a kid. I remember often coming home from hockey practice and seeing the various toppings on the dinner table. At that moment, you knew it was fajita night!
When my fiance Pat and I met and my mom learned that fajitas were his favourite food, fajita night became even more frequent than before. Now Pat and I have adopted regular fajita nights into our own dinner routine too!
As a dietitian, I’m a big proponent of eating more plants, including a variety of plant-based proteins. Whether you’re a meat-eater, flexitarian, already vegetarian, or you’re like me and would rather not put a label on it, we can all benefit from the nutrition that plant foods and nourishing vegetarian recipes can offer.
And whether you’re vegetarian, vegan or meat-eater, you’re going to love this recipe!
Ingredients for Easy Tofu Fajitas:
- A block of firm or extra-firm tofu.
- Onion. I use yellow, but red onion works too!
- Bell peppers (red, green, orange, yellow…whatever you prefer!)
- 5-minute Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Small flour tortillas. I used whole wheat!
- Toppings! Get creative. I like chopped lettuce, avocado, salsa, sour cream and cheese. If vegan, omit the sour cream and cheese. 🙂
Tips for Making Tofu Fajitas:
- Press the tofu – this helps to remove excess water and helps the tofu hold its shape when cooking. Remove the tofu from packaging and place it on a cutting board with a piece of paper towel over top. Then, place something heavy on top (I usually use my cast iron pan with a couple cookbooks on top) and leave for 15-30 minutes.
- Add water to the pan with spices. I usually add about 1/3 cup water to the pan when I add my homemade fajita seasoning. This prevents the pan contents from drying out!
- Share them! This is such a great recipe to cook for family or friends. Everyone can top them how they like and it makes enough for 4-6.
Nutrition Benefits of Tofu Fajitas:
Fajitas of any kind make a wonderfully balanced meal.
So long as you have a quality protein source (which is our tofu here), vegetables or fruit (our onions, peppers, and vegetable fajita toppings), carbohydrates (the tortillas), and a source of fat (like the olive oil for cooking, or the cheese and avocado for topping), you’ve got a nutritious and balanced meal!
In addition to being a great source of protein, tofu is also a plant-based source of important nutrients like iron and calcium. The bell peppers offer vitamin C (more vitamin C per serving than an orange!), and if you use whole wheat tortillas, you’re adding fibre and extra micronutrients like folate, iron and magnesium.
More Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Love:
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Taco Bowls
- Loaded Veggie Nachos with Cilantro Avocado Crema
- Vegetarian Chickpea Burgers
- Easy Vegetarian Lentil Meatballs
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know in the comments and leave a recipe rating and review below!
Don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @hannahmagee_rd on Instagram! Can’t wait to see your pics!
Easy Tofu Fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 medium bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 package small flour tortillas
- 1 batch homemade fajita seasoning
- salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
- Heat olive oil on a large frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced tofu strips and fry in the pan for 3-5 minutes. Flip the tofu and continue frying for another 3 minutes.
- Add all fajita seasoning ingredients to the pan, including the water. Stir seasoning into the tofu until coated and well-combined.
- Add sliced onion and bell peppers and cook the mixture another 5 minutes. If you notice that the pan contents are starting to dry out, add another 1-2 tbsp water. Remove from heat and prepare to serve.
- Place tortillas on a plate with a damp paper towel on top and microwave for 30 second intervals until war (optional). Serve fajita mixture in tortillas and add optional toppings. Enjoy!
This recipe is so delicious and very easy to make. The spices were just right. This has become a new favorite of our family.
I’m so happy to hear that Sue! Thanks for letting me know! Enjoy 🙂
This meal comes together so fast and is so delicious. My 5 year old claimed it was her favourite dinner ever! Thank you!
Hi Carla – thank you! Fajitas are my partner’s favourite dinner ever too. Glad they can be enjoyed at all ages. 😉
Could you share approximately how many fajitas this recipe makes? I can’t seem to find that on here. Thanks!!
Hi Natalie, the recipe should serve 4-6, depending on how hungry everyone is! 😉
I’ve been a vegetarian for 256 days and struggle with tofu recipes. Not anymore!! This recipe offers the perfect balance of taste and texture. I can’t wait to try it again!! Thank you!!
It was pretty easy, but I think fresh garlic and marinating the tofu first (or at least sauteeing the spices in oul and then adding the tofu to that to soak them up better) would help this recipe taste much better, but I understand the intention is to make it easy too. Maybe minced garlic out of a jar?
This was so good ! will definitely use this in my meal rotation. My husband wants it weekly. So simple I did use a package of Fajitas only because I was too lazy to measure. Also I did saute the veggies first and added later to the tofu. I buy fresh tortillas from Meijer in their refrigerator section by the biscuits and they come in 2 sizes sometimes hard to find but worth it.
thanks again for this amazing recipe !\\
Thank you so much Jo Anne! Glad to hear you enjoy my recipe so much.
can you freeze the rest of the fajita mix?
Hi Florence, yes you can freeze the leftover fajita mix. You can seal it in a freezer bag (make sure to get all the air out and mark the date you froze it) and store in the freezer for up to 6 months!
I’m just making this and have used fresh crushed garlic as I fins powder too salty. Excited to taste!
Hi Rachel – thanks so much for trying the recipe and leaving a comment. Hope you enjoyed!!
Delicious and easy! We used your fajita seasoning recipe and it was excellent.
Sooo happy to hear this! Thank you Kristi!
I usually make the mixture and serve with rice, black beans and avocado and the toppings. Delicious!
Love serving the tofu fajita mix over rice as well! So happy you enjoy it. 🙂