Add these Easy Tofu Fajitas to your list of quick and healthy meals to try! This plant-based recipe takes 30 minutes to make and is packed with protein and nutritious vegetables.
Fajitas have been a staple meal in my family since I was a kid. I remember often coming home from hockey practice and seeing the various fajita toppings on the dinner table. At that moment, you knew it was fajita night!
After Pat and I met and my mom learned that fajitas happened to be his favourite food, fajita night became even more frequent than before. Now, Pat and I have adopted regular fajita nights into our own dinner routine too!
I’m currently making an effort to eat less meat. To try and do something for our environment, Pat and I set a goal to cook meatless meals at home for the year. Besides Pat sneaking a few things into the house, so far it’s going really well. And these Easy Tofu Fajitas are a by-product of testing out lots of new plant-based recipes.
Whether you’re vegetarian, vegan or meat-eater, you’re going to love this recipe!
Ingredients for Easy Tofu Fajitas:
A block of firm or extra-firm tofu.
Onion. I use yellow but red onion works, too!
Bell peppers (red, green, orange, yellow…whatever you prefer!)
Spices including chilli powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
Small flour tortillas. I used whole wheat!
Toppings! Get creative. I like chopped lettuce, avocado, salsa, sour cream and cheese. If vegan, omit the sour cream and cheese. 🙂
Tips for Making Tofu Fajitas:
Press the tofu – this helps to remove excess water and helps the tofu hold its shape when cooking. Remove the tofu from packaging and place it on a cutting board with a piece of paper towel over top. Then, place something heavy on top (I usually use my cast iron pan with a couple cookbooks on top) and leave for 15-30 minutes.
Add water to the pan with spices. I usually add about 1/3 cup water to the pan when I add my spices/homemade fajita seasoning. This prevents the pan contents from drying out!
Share them! This is such a great recipe to cook for family or friends. Everyone can top them how they like and it makes enough for 4-6.
Similar Recipes You’ll Love:
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know in the comments and please leave a rating!
Easy Tofu Fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 block extra-firm tofu sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 medium bell peppers sliced into thin strips
- 1 package small flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
- Heat olive oil on a large frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced tofu strips and fry in the pan for 3-5 minutes. Flip the tofu and continue frying for another 3 minutes.
- Add all fajita seasoning ingredients to the pan, including the water. Stir seasoning into the tofu until coated and well-combined.
- Add sliced onion and bell peppers and cook the mixture another 5 minutes. If you notice that the pan contents are starting to dry out, add another 1-2 tbsp water. Remove from heat and prepare to serve.
- Place tortillas on a plate with a damp paper towel on top and microwave for 30 second intervals until war (optional). Serve fajita mixture in tortillas and add optional toppings. Enjoy!