Inspired by the blended baked oats recipes trending on TikTok, these single-serving Double Chocolate Baked Oats will make you feel like you’re eating chocolate cake for breakfast! This recipe is gluten-free with a vegan option.
Where the Baked Oats Trend Came From:
I (along with many others, I’m sure) have been making baked oatmeal for years, but these are a little different. The “baked oats” viral recipe trend originated over on TikTok and they looked so delicious I couldn’t not try my hand at them. PS – If you’re not following me on TikTok, click here!
So what’s different about these oats? Rather than mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl and baking them in the oven like traditional baked oatmeal, you blend them!
By blending up the oats together with the other ingredients, the result is like a breakfast “cake” made of oats! How cool is that? Read on to learn how to make them.
Ingredients for this Baked Oats recipe:
- Rolled oats
- Cocoa powder
- Milk of choice
- Eggs (can sub for flax eggs)
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Double Chocolate Baked Oats:
Step 1: Blend all Baked Oats ingredients except baking powder & chocolate chips
In a high-speed blender, add rolled oats, cocoa powder, milk of choice, egg, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Blend on high speed until well-combined and a smoothie consistency is achieved. The oats should be well blended.
Step 2: Stir in baking powder
Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in baking powder. I learned to do this on TikTok. It helps to achieve that fluffy, cake-like texture that we’re going for.
Step 3: Transfer to baking dish and add chocolate chips
Transfer the blended batter to a well-greased individual baking dish. Then, sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Step 4: Bake the oats!
Place the dish in an oven preheated to 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
What to Bake the Oats in:
Like I said, you’ll want to use a single-serve baking dish. I used an oven-safe 475 mL Corningware casserole dish and it worked well. If you have an oven-safe bowl (like a French onion soup bowl) you could also use this.
- Eggs: To make this recipe vegan, you can substitute a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water).
- Maple syrup: Instead of maple syrup, you another sweetener like honey or regular table sugar.
- Milk: Use whatever milk you have on hand (cow’s milk, soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc.)
- Chocolate chips: If you don’t have chocolate chips, you can chop up a chocolate bar into pieces!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
- Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chunk Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Creamy Breakfast Oatmeal
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Hazelnut Overnight Oats
- Vanilla Chia Pudding
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
Double Chocolate Baked Oats (Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 large egg can sub. for flax egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup can sub. for honey or other sweetener
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a single-serve baking dish. In a high-speed blender, add rolled oats, cocoa powder, milk of choice, egg, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Blend on high speed until well-combined and a smoothie consistency is achieved. The oats should be well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in baking powder. Then, transfer the blended batter to a well-greased individual baking dish and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave a recipe rating and comment below! It supports my business and helps other people find my recipes. 🙂