Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Kale
This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta with kale is the perfect mix of nourishing and comforting. Enjoy on its own or pair it with salad or protein like chicken or shrimp for a satisfying, healthy dinner meal.
Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Kale
I love creamy pasta dishes and I love sun-dried tomatoes. So much so that I had to combine the two together to create this delicious comfort dish. I also added kale for some nourishing greens and colour. You can totally omit this or swap it for spinach.
To make this recipe, you just need a handful of simple ingredients and about half an hour. That’s my kind of meal!
Kale & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta Ingredients:
Pasta: I like using a shorter, thicker pasta for this dish like penne or farfalle (bowties). They help soak up the sauce! White, whole grain, gluten-free, you choose!
Olive Oil: Just a tablespoon! Or, if you’re using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, you can use 1 tablespoon of this.
Garlic: Because you can’t have pasta without garlic…can you?
Sun-dried tomatoes: Drained and chopped.
Kale: Or spinach if you prefer!
Spices: Including Italian seasoning, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
Broth: Chicken or vegetable broth – you choose!
Half and half: Yes, real dairy in this creamy pasta recipe!
Parmesan cheese: Actual parmesan that you buy in the deli section of the grocery store. Not the shelf-stable powdery stuff.
How to Make This Sun-dried Tomato Pasta:
Start by boiling your pasta according to package directions. Prior to draining the noodles, be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water. This stuff is like liquid gold and will help the cream sauce stick to the pasta later on.
Cook your garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in oil on a pan over medium heat. Add spices, stir to combine, then add kale and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the broth and half and half to the saucepan, stir and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and stir for another minute or so, until the cheese melts.
Add drained pasta and pasta water, stirring well to coat the noodles. Here you can taste and had more spices, salt or pepper to taste. If you find the pasta sauce isn’t thick enough yet, I recommend reducing the heat and letting the pasta + sauce sit for up to 5 minutes. It will thicken up, I promise!
Serve with additional parmesan and chopped fresh herbs like basil or parsley (optional).
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
Creamy Kale & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chopped kale, loosely packed
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pasta water, reserved from cooking
- optional: fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions. Drain, saving 1/4 pasta water and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then add kale and continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully add the broth and half and half to the saucepan, stir and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and stir for another minute or so, until the cheese melts.
- Add drained pasta and pasta water, stirring well to coat the noodles. Optional: add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with more parmesan and chopped fresh basil or parsley (optional). Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried this Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Kale or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!