This easy slow cooker French onion soup guarantees all of the cozy vibes! This soup is packed with flavour, cartelized onions, toasty baguette and melted cheese. And since it cooks slow in the crock pot, it makes your home smell amazing.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
I love French onion soup. It’s simple, affordable and oh so delicious.
What I don’t love? How long traditional French onion soup recipes take on the stove! If it’s going to cook for hours, you might as well do it in the crock pot and let it cook while you sleep, right? Right.
Cue this recipe!
How to Make Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
It’s actually really easy. Just follow these steps!
Step 1: Prep your onions. This is probably the most laborious part. You’ll want to slice 5-6 medium yellow onions into half moon shapes. Wear your onion goggles, or be prepared for tears!
Step 2: Add onions to the slow cooker with butter, oil, salt and pepper, sugar (to help caramelize the onions), bay leaves and thyme. Cook together on the low setting for 10-12 hours. I like to do this overnight!
Step 3: Once the onions are nice and caramelized, remove the bay leaves and thyme carefully. Then add your beef broth and wine of choice (I like a dry red), stir, and cook again on low for 6-8 hours. This will put you right around supper time!
Step 4: When the soup is ready, turn your oven on to broil. Arrange oven-safe bowls (I used French onion soup bowls) on a baking sheet and portion soup into bowls. Top with toasted sliced French baguette and shredded gruyere cheese.
Step 5: Broil the soup in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making Better French Onion Soup
The longer it cooks, the more flavour it will have! This applies to both the onions and the soup once the broth and wine is added. If you have the time to let it cook for the full length of time, do it!
Taste and season to your liking. Need more salt and pepper? Add it!
When topping with cheese, I recommend letting some of the gruyere sink under the baguette, into the soup. This way you’ll get bites with gooey, melted cheese clumps. There’s nothing better.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 6 medium yellow onions sliced into half-moons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup dry wine white or red
- sliced french baguette 2-3 slices per bowl, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere cheese about 1/4 cup per bowl
- To your slow cooker, add sliced onions, butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaves and thyme. Cook on low for 10-12 hours or overnight.
- After 12 hours, the onions should be caramelized and fragrant. Carefully remove the bay leaves and thyme. Add broth and wine (I used red), stir to combine and cook on low for another 6-8 hours.
- Arrange oven-safe bowls on a baking sheet and portion out soup. Top each bowl with 2-3 slices of toasted baguette and approx. 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese.
- Broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried this Slow Cooker French Onion Soup or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!