Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins
Look no further, I’ve got your new favourite vegan blueberry muffins recipe right here! These lightly sweetened, plant-based muffins made with whole grain flour make an easy healthy breakfast or on-the-go snack that the whole family will love.
What’s better than fresh, fluffy blueberry muffins that don’t skimp on delicious juicy blueberries? Fresh, fluffy, VEGAN blueberry muffins that don’t skimp on delicious juicy blueberries! That’s right. You’d never know that these muffins are completely plant-based (made without dairy products or eggs).
Why I love these Vegan Blueberry Muffins:
The muffins are quick to make (the steps are all super simple) and an easy way to use up any ultra ripe bananas or blueberries that you have on hand and need using up.
They’re made with whole wheat flour, which makes them an easy way to contribute to your whole grain servings each day! The subsitution of whole wheat flour for all-purpose or white four boosts nutrition and fibre content and this makes my dietitian heart happy!
It’s totally vegan/plant-based. And we could all benefit from eating more plants and less animals products, am I right?
Tips for making the muffins:
For your bananas, the riper the better. As bananas ripen, they get sweeter. So if you want a sweeter muffin, you’ll want your bananas to be super ripe! Like, super spotty and turning brown ripe!
Gently fold in the blueberries. We want the blueberries to stay in tact so we get little bursts of delicious blueberry juice upon biting into the muffins. Therefore, fold them gently into the batter and try to avoid bursting them all before baking.
They freeze really well! If you know you won’t eat all 12 muffins within 3-5 days of baking them, store them in the freezer in an airtight container. You can just grab one out and pop it into the microwave when you want one! Or grab it straight out of the freezer on your way out the door in the morning. By afternoon, your muffin will be defrosted and ready as an afternoon snack!
Like this recipe?
Snap a photo and SHARE on Instagram! Don’t forget to tag me. For more healthy recipe inspiration, be sure to follow along on Pinterest, too!
You may also love my Whole Grain Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins or my Vegan Whole Grain Banana Bread.
Happy healthy baking!!
Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners. Make a "flax egg" by whisking ground flaxseed and water together in a small dish. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. In a smaller mixing bowl, mix together mashed ripe bananas, pure maple syrup, melted coconut oil and non-dairy milk.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredient mixture and pour the wet ingredient mixture into the well. Stir enough to moisten the batter completely, but be careful not to overmix. The batter should appear lumpy.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Pour 1/4 cup batter into each muffin liner evenly. Place muffins in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffin tops are golden brown. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy after cooling or store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.