Name something better than a warm, thick slice of banana bread. I’ll wait.
Seriously, banana bread has to be one of my favourite baked goods. I love the little brown speckles from the bananas, and I love when it is just slightly underdone and gooey. Anyone else like that?
As a dietitian, I know that it’s important to aim for 50% or more of your daily grains intake to be whole grain. Whole grains have undergone the least amount of processing and the term whole grain means exactly that – the grain or seed is whole or intact. A kernel of grain contains three parts – the bran, the germ, and the endosperm. In whole grain products, these are all in tact. The grain hasn’t been stripped down to just the endosperm as it is when “white” or refined grains are produced.
So why is this important? Well, whole grains are considered more nutritious than refined grains because they contain more fibre, vitamins, and minerals. Additionally, increased intake of whole grains has been associated with a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers.
So, I’ve been testing this recipe for vegan, whole grain banana bread for a few months now. First it didn’t rise enough, then it was too dry. Finally, I got it right. It’s perfectly fluffy yet chewy and just sweet enough. The best part is – you can’t even tell it’s made with whole grain flour! But how about I stop talking and let you go make it for yourself. You’ll be kicking yourself for not making it sooner!
As always, nothing excites me more than seeing you make my recipes! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see. And if you like this recipe, you’ll for sure want to try my One-Bowl Vegan Carrot Muffins!
Vegan Whole Grain Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milled or ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together your milled flax seed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together your Earth Balance and maple syrup. Add your "flax eggs" (water + milled flax seed mixture) and mashed bananas and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine whole grain flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, add the liquid banana mixture and stir until batter is just moistened (don't overmix)! Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and distribute evenly. Place in centre of the oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, your banana bread is done!