Healthier No-Bake Cheesecake in a Jar
This easy recipe is a take on one of my favourite desserts: cheesecake! This no-bake cheesecake in a jar is simple + quick to make and it’s served in mini mason jars…cute, right? Complete with graham cracker “crust”, cheesecake filling, and cherry cheesecake topping!
About This Recipe for No Bake Cheesecake in a Jar:
Oh, cheesecake. One of my most favourite desserts. I love that it’s tangy and rich, and that there are so many decadent flavours to go around.
What I don’t love about cheesecake is that it’s not the easiest or quickest dessert to make.
When I was in in junior high, the cafeteria at my school had these cherry cheesecake cups. Once a week I was allowed to buy my lunch at the cafeteria, and whenever my mom handed me that cash, I always knew exactly how I’d spend it…
It was my weekly treat and I savoured it oh so much. It had a graham cracker crust at the bottom, a tangy cheesecake mixture in the middle, and a cherry pie filling on top. And that is what inspired this recipe!
So, when I set out to create another no-bake dessert for summer, it wasn’t hard decide to recreate a healthy – or ‘healthier‘ – version of the cafeteria cheesecake cups that I loved so much.
This recipe is definitely easy, and definitely doesn’t sacrifice on taste or decadence.
How to Make No Bake Cheesecake in a Jar:
For the No Bake Cheesecake in a Jar Filling:
The secret to making this dessert a little more nutritious? Greek yogurt!
I find that by using full-fat plain Greek yogurt in this recipe there’s not much sugar needed, as it’s naturally less sour and more rich-tasting.
There’s only 3 tablespoons of maple syrup in the entire recipe, which makes 5-6 mini (125 mL) mason jar servings. That’s pretty impressive if you ask me!
For the Graham Cracker Base:
Now the crust or base is just a simple mixture of graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Feel free to swap this for coconut oil or something else if you like!
If you want to add some fibre, healthy fat, and protein, you could try subbing half of the graham cracker crumbs for almond flour. Though I’m happy with my graham cracker crumbs!
For the Cherry Topping:
We simmer the cherries with a little maple syrup, lemon juice, and corn starch to create a thick, cherry compote to serve on top of the cheesecakes. Both fresh and frozen cherries work well!
Feel totally free to use another fruit if cherries aren’t your thing. Blueberries, strawberries or really any berry would be just as delicious.
Once they’re made, you can serve the mini cheesecakes in a jar immediately or store them in the fridge before serving.
Personally, I do like to keep them in the fridge for an hour or so before eating to let the cheesecake filling firm up even more. But they are hard to resist!
More ‘Healthier’ Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthy Berry Cheesecake Dip
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Balls
- Strawberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Healthy No Bake Cheesecake in a Jar
For the Cherry Topping
- 1 cup pitted cherries, halved
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp corn starch
For the No-Bake Cheesecake Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup plain full-fat greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2-3 tbsp butter, melted
For the Cherry Topping
- Add all cherry topping ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute for 5-10 minutes, gently stirring every couple minutes. Eventually it will begin to thicken and form a sauce. You can mash up the cherries some if you like.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow the cherries to cool while you prepare the cheesecake filling.
For the Cheesecake Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, plain greek yogurt, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Mix together using electric hand or stand mixer for 2-3 minutes on high. When the mixture is smooth (there may be some little lumps) place in the fridge while you make the crust.
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- Melt butter in microwave. Add graham cracker crumbs to a small bowl and drizzle on melted butter. Stir until completely mixed together.
To Assemble Mini Cheesecake Jars
- Distribute the crust mixture evenly into six 125mL mason/jam jars. Pack down gently with your fingertips.
- Divide the cheesecake filling evenly amongst the jars. Gently tap jars down on your countertop to settle the layer.
- Finally, top each jar with the cooled cherry topping. Serve immediately if you like, but I prefer to refrigerate at least 1 hour before enjoying to let the cheesecake set some more. Enjoy!