This Pomegranate Salsa recipe makes a healthy, no-fuss appetizer recipe for the holidays or any type of gathering. It’s fresh, delicious, nutritious, and super festive! The best part? It takes less than 15 minutes to make!
I don’t know about you, but my favourite part about holiday parties and gatherings in general is the food. Of course I enjoy spending time with friends and family, but I especially love checking out the spread of delicious appetizers and hors d’oeuvres, and discovering new favourites. I generally gravitate towards a good dip, like my Healthy Kale and Artichoke Dip, or my Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes.
What I don’t always love? Deciding what to dish to bring to the parties and gatherings. Life is busy and this time of year can be stressful, and not all of us can spend hours planning and preparing our contributions every time. Well, that’s where this 15-minute Easy Pomegranate Salsa recipe comes in.
This salsa is festive, it’s fresh, it’s tasty, and it’s incredibly easy to make. All you need is 15 minutes and a handful of simple ingredients. Oh, and it just so happens to be really nutritious, too!
What’s in This Pomegranate Salsa Recipe?
Obviously we know the main ingredient in this recipe is pomegranate seeds, but what else is in the salsa? Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make it:
- Pomegranate seeds
- Green bell pepper
- Jalapeno pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint leaves
- Olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
Nutrition Benefits of this Recipe:
In addition to being an easy and delicious appetizer recipe, this fresh salsa recipe is also really healthy and nutritious for you. Hey, I’m a dietitian, I can’t not point it out! Here are some of the good things that this recipe is packed with:
- Fibre – Fibre comes from plant foods like fruits and vegetables, and because this salsa recipe is made up of mostly fruit and vegetables (pomegranate seeds, cucumber, green pepper, and jalapeno), it’s packed with fibre! Fibre is important because it helps to stabilize our blood sugar levels, keep us fuller for longer, and promote good digestion and gut health.
- Antioxidants – In addition to being juicy, sweet and delicious, pomegranate seeds are chalk-full of antioxidants. In short, antioxidants are natural substances found in food that protect the body’s cells from damage, and can help to lower your risk of chronic disease (like heart disease and cancer).
- Healthy fat – Adding a drizzle of olive oil to our pomegranate salsa recipe adds flavour, but it also adds healthy fat. It’s important to add sources of healthy, unsaturated fats like olive oil to our diets for many reasons, like heart health, brain health, and feeling more satiated after meals. Fat also helps us to absorb certain vitamins from our food, too!
Can You Make Pomegranate Salsa with Avocados?
Absolutely, I think diced avocado would make a great addition to this recipe, and it would also add some healthy more fat. There are a variety of other ingredients that would be delicious in a pomegranate salsa. If you’d like, feel free to add any of the following ingredients or substitute one of the above ingredients for them:
Other Ingredients You Can Add:
- Red onion
- White onion
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil leaves
- Ground cumin (just a pinch!)
What Can I Dip in Pomegranate Salsa?
The possibilities for dipping are endless! Here are some of my favourite things to use for dipping in this Pomegranate Salsa:
- Tortilla chips – particularly the Tostito’s Hint of Lime tortilla chips
- Crackers – I love using Triscuits (the Black Pepper flavour is my favourite)
- Plantain chips
- Pita chips (you can even make your own pita chips at home!)
- Cucumber slices
How to Store/Use Leftovers:
If you happen to have leftovers (I’ll be surprised if you do!), you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
If you’re looking for some ways to use up any leftover pomegranate salsa, you can always eat it on it’s own as a snack, add it to a salad, or even it serve it on top of a protein like salmon or chicken.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a recipe rating and a comment below. Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me @hannahmagee_rd so I can see!
Quick and Easy Pomegranate Salsa
- 8 oz. pomegranate seeds seeds from approx. 1 large pomegranate
- 1/3 large cucumber diced
- 1/2 medium green pepper diced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 sprigs mint leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small lime juice of
- 1 pinch salt
- crackers or tortilla chips for serving
- In a bowl, gently mix together the pomegranate seeds, diced cucumber, diced green pepper, diced jalapeno pepper, and chopped cilantro and mint.
- Drizzle the mixture with olive oil, add the juice of 1 lime and a pinch of salt then stir again until everything is well-combined.
- Store in the fridge until serving OR serve immediately with your choice of crackers or tortilla chips. Enjoy!