Easy Vegan Eggnog Chia Pudding
This quick and easy Eggnog Chia Pudding is the perfect way to enjoy a holiday classic as a healthy breakfast or snack! It’s vegan, gluten-free and totally delicious. Oh, and it only requires 3 ingredients to make!
Leading up to the holidays, I’m all about incorporating as many of my favourite holiday flavours into my recipes as I can, like in my Buttermilk Gingerbread Pancakes. Being a dietitian, I also like putting a nourishing spin on my recipes, like I’ve done with my Healthy Homemade Peppermint Mocha recipe. So, if you’re looking for a super festive yet nutritious way to enjoy your eggnog this year, this recipe is perfect for you!
It’s a simple mix of plant-based holiday nog, non-dairy milk and chia seeds! How easy is that? Now, if you’re not plant-based, you can feel free to substitute regular eggnog and/or milk if you like. Make this recipe work for you!
Ingredients for Eggnog Chia Pudding:
You only need 5 minutes and 3 simple ingredients to make this recipe for Eggnog Chia Pudding:
- Chia seeds
- Vegan holiday nog (like the varieties from So Delicious, Earth’s Own, and Blue Diamond)
- Non-dairy milk of your choice
Nutrition Benefits of This Recipe:
Like I said, this recipe is a nutritious way to enjoy your holiday eggnog. Here’s why:
- It’s a balanced breakfast or snack. While the vegan or plant-based ‘eggnog’ varieties still tend to have comparable amounts of sugar as traditional eggnog, the combination with chia seeds makes it a way to enjoy the flavour of eggnog in a more balanced way.
- More stable blood sugars. Combining our eggnog with chia seeds adds fibre, healthy fat, and a little protein to prevent a large spike in blood sugar levels, which will help to keep your energy and hunger levels more stable than if you were to just drink eggnog alone.
- Chia seeds are little nutrition powerhouses. In addition to being high in fibre and healthy fat, chia seeds are also a good plant-based source of magnesium, iron, and calcium which are important nutrients for good health.
How to Make the Best Chia Pudding:
Making chia pudding is quick and easy to do. All you have to do is combine your liquid chia seeds and then let the mixture sit for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
If you’re new to making chia pudding, here’s what I have found works best for me:
- Use a ratio of 1 cup of liquid (usually a milk of some sort, but in this case its eggnog AND milk) to ¼ cup of chia seeds. I find this combination achieves a nice creamy pudding consistency.
- If you can, let it sit overnight. While it will be set after about 4 hours, letting it sit overnight will give it even more time to reach that creamy pudding consistency and also let the flavour sink in.
- For even more tips for making chia pudding, check out the information on my super popular recipe for Easy Vanilla Chia Pudding.
How to Enjoy Your Eggnog Chia Pudding:
Load on the toppings! I love adding some crunch to my chia pudding, so topping it with things like granola, nuts or seeds is great. Here are some other ways you could enjoy your eggnog chia pudding:
- With fruit– I love adding fruit – especially when I’m enjoying my chia pudding for breakfast. Try topping this chia pudding with banana slices or even pomegranate arils, so festive!
- With nut butter– Want to add even more staying power to your chia pudding? Add a dollop of nut butter for more satisfying healthy fats.
- With coconut yogurt/whip cream– Adding a nice swirl of coconut yogurt or coconut whip cream will add creaminess and a sense of indulgence to your eggnog chia pudding. These toppings are my favourite!
How to Store Chia Pudding:
This recipe is great for meal prep because it makes 3 servings. The Eggnog Chia Pudding stores well in a sealed airtight container (like a mason jar or meal prep container) in the refrigerator up to 5 days. I would recommend storing the chia pudding without toppings and adding them just before serving.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you like this recipe, please let me know by leaving a recipe rating and a comment below! This really helps me grow my blog and helps others find my recipes.
Don’t forget to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious healthy recipes.
Easy Vegan Eggnog Chia Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy holiday nog, like So Delicious, Califa Farms, Silk, Blue Diamond, etc.
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk of choice
- 3/4 cup chia seeds, (learn chia seeds' nutrition benefits)
- 1 pinch nutmeg, optional, for topping
- coconut yogurt or coconut whip, optional, for topping
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together holiday nog, milk and chia seeds.
- Divide mixture amongst three separate airtight containers or mason jars. Store jars in the fridge for a minumum of 2 hours until firm or overnight.
- Remove from fridge, add recommended toppings (or others) and enjoy!