Whole Grain + Vegan Sweet Potato Bread
This Vegan Sweet Potato Bread is the perfect baked good for fall. It’s fluffy, comforting, and full of warm spices. Enjoy it with a cozy mug of coffee or tea. This recipe is whole wheat, vegan, and oil-free.
I know fall is generally the time of year for all things pumpkin, but if you’re looking to branch out from all things pumpkin, this is the perfect recipe for you! And if you’re a fan of pumpkin loaf (like the one at Starbucks), you’ll love this Vegan Sweet Potato Bread just as much.
This recipe is actually quite similar to a pumpkin bread, but instead of pumpkin puree, we’re using sweet potato puree. It’s really easy to make your own at home!
This quick bread recipe is easy to make and will make your kitchen smell like fall. I love warming up a slice and enjoying it beside a cozy mug of coffee. Can you say fall vibes?
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Sweet Potato Bread:
- It’s rises beautifully in the oven so it’s fluffy and the sweet potato puree + applesauce combination make it moist and chewy. To those who despise the word moist, I apologize.
- It’s simple to make. Puree some sweet potato (it’s easy, and I’ll walk you through in the instructions), mix your dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine it all together and let it bake!
- It’s nourishing! Made with whole wheat flour (for more fibre and nutrients), pure sweet potato (a great source of vitamin A and fibre), and unsweetened applesauce (hello, antioxidants).
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Vegan Sweet Potato Bread:
To make this vegan sweet potato bread recipe, you’ll need:
- Sweet potato
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Ground flaxseed (to make flax “eggs”)
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Pecans/pepitas for topping (optional)
Tips for Making This Recipe:
- When mixing the wet ingredients into the dry, mix gently and be careful not to over-mix! Mix just until the batter is well-combined, no more! If you over-mix, this may result in a tougher, denser bread. We want fluffy!
- Before baking, sprinkle the loaf with a handful of chopped pecans and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). This is totally optional, but adds a satisfying crunch and even more cozy flavours.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving! This also ensures that it maintains it’s height + fluffy-ness.
How to Store the Vegan Sweet Potato Bread:
You can store the vegan sweet potato loaf covered at room temperature up to 5 days.
Alternatively, you can store the bread in the freezer up to 2 months.
More Vegan Baked Good Recipes:
- Vegan Whole Grain Banana Bread
- Vegan One-Bowl Carrot Muffins
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins (vegan option)
- Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins
- One-Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Cake
- Vegan Almond Butter Sweet Potato Muffins
Whole Wheat Vegan Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pecan pieces and pepitas for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Puree your sweet potato by bringing a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato cubes and bring to a boil once again in the water. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the cubes are fork-tender. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until creamy and smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed and water and set aside. To a large mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add sweet potato puree, maple syrup, unsweetened applesauce and vanilla extract. Whisk together to combine.
- Add wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient mixture in the large mixing bowl. Mix together gently until everything is combined, be careful not to over-mix!
- Transfer batter to your lined loaf pan and spread evenly. Optional: sprinkle the top with pecan pieces and pepitas. Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool sweet potato bread completely, then remove from loaf pan. Slice and serve.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Enjoyed this recipe? Leave a comment and a recipe rating below! It helps other readers find my recipes and I’d really appreciate it. 🙂
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!