Vegetarian Taco Salads
These vegetarian taco salads make a super quick dinner or packed lunch. They’re perfect for meal-prep or when you just don’t want to spend a ton of time cooking. Gluten-free, packed with tons of healthy veggies, and can easily be made vegan without the cheese.
Taco salads were always a big hit in my family growing up. On fajita night, my mom always made sure to serve a loaded-up taco salad with all the goodies (including crushed taco shells or tortilla chips) to enjoy on the side. It was such a great way to bulk up the meal and encourage the family to fill half our plates with vegetables. Way to go, mom!
What I love about taco salad is that you know it’s never gonna be dull. With the vibrant colours from all the crisp veggies, the crunch from the chips, and the mexican-inspired flavours, these vegetarian taco salads are the perfect rebuttle to those who claim that salads are boring.
What makes a good taco salad:
Now in case you were wondering, there are a few key things included in this recipe that I feel make these the best Vegetarian Taco Salads that they are:
The fresh, crisp vegetables. I recommend using a crisp green, like romaine lettuce in these salads. It really adds some satisfying crunch to the salad that you may not get from something like spinach or spring mix.
Cilantro! Adding chopped, fresh cilantro just gives the taco salads that much more flavour and flare. You won’t wanna skip this ingredient.
Crunch a.k.a. crushed taco/tortilla chips. I mean, you can’t have a good taco salad without them. Enough said.
Tips for making these Vegetarian Taco Salads:
While the cheese in this recipe will add some protein + fat to help keep you feeling full, I highly recommend pairing these salads with my Easy Refried Black Beans. Not only are they delicious, they’re a fantastic source of plant-based protein and fibre that will really add that satisfaction-factor we don’t always get after eating a salad. Win! Throw the beans on the stove, and while you’re cooking them just chop all the veggies and shred your cheese so you’re ready to add the beans when they’re done. In about 30 minutes, you’ll have an epic vegetarian taco salad.
The “dressing” I chose for this recipe is super simple, and what I always use – salsa and plain greek yogurt. Yup, you read that right, greek yogurt! It tastes just like sour cream but it’s higher in protein. And I feel like most of us these days are more likely to have greek yogurt in the fridge than sour cream, right? This way you don’t have to run out and get sour cream! If you find other tasty ways to dress up these salads, let me know!
As always, snap a photo and share when you make my recipes on Instagram. I love seeing your photos and getting feedback from you guys about my recipes. Now let’s get to the recipe!
The Best Vegetarian Taco Salads
- 6 cups romaine lettuce (approx. 8 large romaine leaves), chopped
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 12 large blue corn chips, crushed
- 6 tbsp salsa of choice
- 6 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- fresh lime, sliced, for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups easy refried black beans*, see notes
- Chop all the vegetables/cilantro, shred cheddar cheese (if necessary), and crush blue corn chips. Set a few tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro aside (for garnish).
- Divide prepped ingredients among 3 large plates, serving bowls, or meal-prep containers. Add approx. 1/2 cup easy refried black beans per salad serving.
- If serving immediately, top salads with 2 tbsp each of salsa and plain greek yogurt (can sub with sour cream). Garnish with lime slices and remaining cilantro. Enjoy!