This Vegetarian Grain Bowl with Grilled Halloumi cheese is a super healthy and easy plant-based meal to enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Where are my grain bowl lovers at?! Grain bowls are similar (if not the same thing) to nourish bowls, but they contain grains as the base! Then they’re loaded up with various toppings like veggies (cooked or raw), sauces and other things like cheeses, nuts or meat.
This grain bowl is totally vegetarian, but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in protein or isn’t balanced. The grains are not only a source of fibre, but protein too! You know what also adds protein? The delicious grilled halloumi cheese.
How to Build a Vegetarian Grain Bowl:
When I want to build a balanced vegetarian grain bowl, I always start with a whole-grain base. Think brown rice, quinoa, millet or buckwheat. They’re usually simple to prepare (just boil water, add the grains and simmer to cook) and delicious with any topping and/or sauce combinations.
Then I add my vegetables (cooked or raw) – in this recipe we’re using asparagus and grape or cherry tomatoes. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand, but this combination is superb.
I then add a protein source if I don’t have one already – in this case it’s my halloumi cheese. You could try some plant-based protein options like chickpeas, various beans or lentils!
Finally, add your sauce. In this recipe I used a homemade Lemon Balsamic Dressing and it was fantastic. Head down to the recipe to check it out!
Notes About This Recipe:
For my whole grain base, I used a brown rice and lentil blend from Geovita. Feel free to create your own rice and lentil blend at home, or just use good old brown rice (or another grain like quinoa, millet or buckwheat).
I recommend garnishing your grain bowl with a fresh herb. This recipe calls for parsley, but you could also use mint or basil.
To cook the vegetables, this recipe calls for a grill (it’s currently summertime!) but you could also roast them in the oven, saute them in a pan, or even cook them in an air fryer!
Similar Recipes to Try:
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you try my recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating below to let me know!
Vegetarian Grain Bowls with Grilled Halloumi
Vegetarian Grain Bowls:
- 1 cup cooked grains like brown rice, quinoa, etc.
- 10-12 medium asparagus spears
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove minced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 inch slices halloumi cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
Lemon Balsamic Dressing:
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat grill on medium heat. Place asparagus and tomatoes in a medium bowl, add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Place mixture into a large square of aluminum foil. Wrap up the foil, pinching the ends to seal. Place foil packet on the grill, directly over flame. Grill for 10-20 minutes to desired doneness.
- When there’s about 5 minutes left, drizzle some olive oil on halloumi cheese slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place slices on grill for 1-2 minutes, flip and grill for another 1-2.
- Assemble bowls and drizzle with Lemon Balsamic Dressing!