Healthy Vegetarian Fried Rice
This vegetarian fried rice is a healthier take on traditional fried rice. It’s loaded with brown rice, plenty of veggies and quality protein from eggs! Enjoy this protein-rich vegetarian dish for dinner or as a side! Make it in 30 minutes or less for an easy weeknight meal.
When I think of a balanced meal, I often think about a mixture of whole grains, quality protein, some healthy fats and of course, vegetables and/or fruit! This recipe for healthy vegetarian fried rice totally meets that criteria. It combines brown rice, eggs, avocado and sesame oil, and a variety of vegetables in a simple one-pan meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
It comes together in 30 minutes or less and requires minimal equipment. All you need is a frying pan, and a pot if your rice isn’t already cooked!
You can customize it using whatever vegetables you have on hand. Have some leftover broccoli or cauliflower to use up? Throw it on in!
It’s vegetarian, but sure to impress your meat-loving family and friends. Just ask my boyfriend, Pat!
While the dish is meatless, it remains rich in protein thanks to the use of eggs. Scrambling some eggs into this fried rice give it the feel of more traditional fried rice – like you’re ordering it at a restaurant – but it also adds a lot of nutrition. Let’s talk about eggs for a minute.
Why Cook with Eggs?
Eggs are definitely not just for breakfast (and this recipe is proof!). Thanks to their mild flavour and ability to be cooked in many different ways, eggs can be enjoyed any time of the day – even lunch or dinner time.
Not only are they versatile, they’re a low-cost protein source that are great to keep on hand and add in order to make meals more nutritious and satisfying. In our house, we add eggs to things like sandwiches, wraps, stir fries and more.
If you’re unsure about eating eggs at dinner time, this recipe is sure to convince you!
How to Make Vegetarian Fried Rice:
Start by scrambling up your eggs in your frying pan. Once the eggs are set, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Add more oil to the pan and cook your veggies until tender.
To the vegetable mixture, add cooked rice and mix together. Stir in some chopped green onions.
Add sesame oil, soy sauce and a little fish sauce (optional) to flavour the rice.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes then add the scrambled eggs back in to the pan and stir.
Serve with sesame seeds and more green onion, then enjoy!
Tips for Making this Recipe:
Prepare the rice ahead of time to save time when making this recipe.
It makes a lot of fried rice, so make it early in the week so you can have leftovers for lunches!
If you’re feeling adventurous, add some flavourful additions like pineapple or kimchi to mix things up!
Similar Recipes You’ll Love:
Healthy Vegetarian Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3-4 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green peas, canned or frozen
- 3 green onions, chopped, more for serving
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce, or oyster sauce
- 1 pinch salt, pepper and chili flakes
- green onions & sesame seeds, to garnish
- In a large frying pan or wok, add 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Crack eggs into the pan and scramble for 2-3 minutes until set. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan. Add garlic, onions and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes until onions and carrots are soft.
- Add the peas and red bell pepper. Allow vegetable mixture to cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked brown rice and stir to combine. Then stir in sesame oil, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Mix in chopped green onions, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Continue stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs to the mixture, and stir to combine. Use your spatula to break up to eggs into small pieces as needed.
- Remove from heat and serve. Top with more chopped green onion and sesame seeds then enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.