These healthy whole wheat pumpkin muffins are perfectly spiced, fluffy and totally vegan! Pair with coffee or tea for the perfect fall snack.
Why You’ll Love These Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins:
These vegan whole wheat pumpkin muffins make the best healthy snack for fall. I love pairing mine with a smear of almond butter and a warm coffee or tea.
I like to use whole wheat flour in some of my baking in order to boost the fibre and nutrient content of my muffins. Honestly, I don’t even notice the difference. You won’t either!
Not only are they healthy and made with whole grains, these vegan pumpkin muffins are perfectly spiced, fluffy and delicious.
How to Make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins:
Turn on your oven to preheat to 375F. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing with oil, non-stick spray or lining with baking cups.
Combine dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the centre for the wet ingredients and set aside.
Make your “flax eggs” by whisking together 2 tablespoons of flax seed meal and 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
Combine wet ingredients in a separate medium bowl. Add flax egg and mix to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together until just combined. Don’t overmix!
Divide muffin batter into prepared muffin tin and bake for 23-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Gluten-free option: For a gluten-free version of these muffins, I used oat flour in this recipe. You could also follow the recipe below and swap the whole wheat flour for 1:1 gluten-free flour.
For the flax eggs: If you don’t have flax seed meal and are not vegan, you can use regular eggs in this recipe. I have done this and they turned out great!
For unsweetened applesauce: If you don’t have applesauce on hand, you can omit this and add an additional 1/4 cup of oil.
For coconut oil: If you don’t have/like coconut oil, you can use another mild-tasting oil like canola or avocado oil.
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins (Vegan)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 15 oz. can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax seed meal and water to create your "flax eggs". Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl, add remaining wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Add flax eggs and whisk again.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry mixture and stir together just until combined.
- Divide the batter among your prepared muffin pan. Recipe will make 12 muffins. Bake for approximately 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried these vegan Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!