Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Casserole with Turkey
I absolutely love serving casseroles for dinner — they’re easy to make, feed a crowd, and require minimal ingredient prep! This broccoli and cheddar cheese dinner casserole ticks all those boxes — and more! It’s made with broccoli florets, cooked and cubed turkey breast, plus two cans of no-salt-added cream of chicken soup. Casserole assembly is easy, and the baked dish is ready to serve and enjoy after just 40 minutes in the oven!
About This Turkey Broccoli Casserole Recipe:
If you’re looking for easy dinner casserole ideas, you’ve come to the right place! This has been one of my favourite dishes since I was a kid. My mom got the recipe from her mom – my Grammie – both of whom have served it to me for years.
Not only is it a family-favourite recipe, this broccoli cheese casserole makes a delicious and well-balanced meal. I guess it makes sense that it’s been on our roster of healthy dinner recipes for years! It’s great for using leftover turkey (perhaps after a holiday meal), and you can also use cooked chicken instead.
From my family, to yours! Enjoy!
What Makes This Broccoli Cheese Casserole a Balanced Meal?
As a Registered Dietitian, my aim is to share simple, delicious, and nutritionally-balanced recipes (most of the time). And this cream of chicken casserole fits the bill!
I wrote an entire post on how to build a balanced meal, and let me share with you how this recipe meets the criteria:
- It offers a good source of protein: That’s our turkey or chicken.
- It includes fruit or vegetables: Cue the broccoli. We can also add more veggies by serving the dish up with a simple side salad!
- There’s a source of carbohydrates: That’s the rice that we serve the casserole with.
Ingredients For Turkey Broccoli Casserole
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Cooked turkey or chicken
- Broccoli florets – fresh or frozen
- Unsalted butter
- Canned Cream of Chicken Soup
- Lemon juice – fresh or store-bought
- Curry powder
- Bread crumbs
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Rice or quinoa for serving
How to Make Turkey Broccoli Casserole:
Step 1: Cook turkey & broccoli
If not already cooked, bake your turkey or chicken (I like this method), then cut into cubes.
Steam the broccoli by placing broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and adding 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender but still firm. You can do this with fresh or frozen broccoli, just adjust cooking times accordingly.
Then lay the chicken then broccoli in the bottom of a casserole dish, one on top of the other.
Step 2: Make the sauce
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, melted butter, lemon juice, curry powder, and salt. Spread over top of chicken and broccoli in the casserole dish.
Step 3: Add breadcrumb + cheese topping
Mix 1 teaspoon melted butter with the bread crumbs and spinkle on top. Add grated cheese on top of bread crumbs.
Step 4: Bake and then Serve!
Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes until the cheese is slightly crisp and the breadcrumb layer is golden brown.
What to Serve with Broccoli Casserole:
For a well-balanced meal, I recommend serving this leftover turkey casserole with a side of rice or quinoa and/or a simple side salad.
Can I Use Chicken Instead of Turkey?
Yes! This casserole recipe works great with cooked turkey or cooked chicken. Use whichever you prefer!
I often use leftover turkey after a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Throughout the remainder of the year, I’ll use chicken.
Can You Make Broccoli Casserole Ahead of Time?
You sure can! This is something my mom often does. If you want to make the broccoli casserole ahead of time, just follow all steps up until baking. Then keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to bake it in the oven!
If you have leftovers, store them covered in the fridge. They will keep up to 4 days.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Casserole with Turkey (or Chicken!)
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed turkey breast, can sub chicken
- 2 medium heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cans no salt added cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and add 3 tablespoons of water. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender but still firm. Then lay the chicken then broccoli in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, butter, lemon juice, curry powder, and salt. Spread over top of chicken and broccoli in the casserole dish.
- Mix 1 teaspoon melted butter with the bread crumbs and spinkle on top. Add grated cheese on top of bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes. Serve with rice and/or a side salad to round out the meal. Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Enjoyed this recipe? Leave me a comment and recipe rating below! It helps other people find my recipes. 🙂