Super-Nutritious Blueberry Beet Smoothie
Made with antioxidant-rich blueberries and beets, chia seeds, fresh ginger, greek yogurt, and a splash of 100% orange juice, this smoothie is balanced and nutrient-rich. You only need 5 minutes to make it, so make this beet smoothie for an easy healthy breakfast or mid-day snack.
About this Beet Smoothie Recipe:
I know most of you out there have probably never tried putting beets in your smoothie. Lately, I’ve been having so much fun trying out delicious and nutritious smoothie recipes made with various vegetables!
Some of my favourites have been my Creamy Chocolate Cauliflower Smoothie and Green Power Smoothie with spinach. I also made a really fun and nutritious Orange Carrot Smoothie too.
One vegetable I’ve been dying to create a smoothie recipe with is beetroot (aka beets). Because of their colour, I knew they would make a beautiful smoothie, but I also wanted to make sure my beetroot smoothie tastes really good.
I added some banana and blueberries for sweetness, as well as a splash of OJ, and ginger root for flavour. And for protein: greek yogurt. The result is this super tasty, easy, and very nourishing Blueberry Beet Smoothie.
Benefits of Drinking a Beetroot Smoothie:
As a Registered Dietitian, I appreciate that beets are highly nutritious. A cup of beets offers 4 grams of dietary fibre, zero saturated and/or trans fat, zero cholesterol, 11% Daily Value for Vitamin C, and 37% Daily Value for folate. Beets are also a source of various minerals, including iron, magnesium, potassium, and manganese.
In addition to their vitamin and mineral content, beets are particularly rich in certain compounds like nitrates and antioxidants which may be beneficial for reducing blood pressure, increasing blood flow, and improving athletic performance.
Is a Beet Smoothie Good for your Blood Pressure?
Can you drink this beetroot smoothie for blood pressure? Due to its natural nitrate content, research has shown that supplementation with beetroot juice (70 to 500mL per day) helps to reduce blood pressure levels in those with and without high blood pressure. This is great news!
However, because these studies were done specifically with beetroot juice, we cannot say for sure whether or not whole beets would have the same effect. That being said…they can’t hurt!
Is a Beetroot Smoothie Helpful for Weight Loss?
Generally speaking, there is hardly ever one specific food that will help or hinder weight loss. Weight loss or weight gain occur when there is a respective calorie deficit or calorie surplus.
That being said, beets are a vegetable, and they are high in fibre. Fibre is important to consider if your goal is weight loss, as it helps to balance blood sugar levels, keep you feeling full, and stabilize your appetite.
Another important thing to consider is protein. Protein also helps to keep you full and supports the maintenance and growth of lean muscle mass, which are both important if your goal is weight loss. Luckily, I’ve followed by balanced smoothie formula and made sure to include fibre and protein in this beet smoothie recipe.
Blueberry Beet Smoothie Ingredients:
To make this smoothie, here’s what you’ll need:
- Banana – you can use fresh or frozen
- Blueberries – fresh or frozen
- Beets – I use frozen because there’s no peeling, chopping, or prep required. However, you can use fresh beets if you prefer. I recommend at least one of your fruits or vegetables in this smoothie be frozen
- Chia seeds – these little seeds have a variety of nutrition benefits
- Fresh ginger
- Orange juice
Tips for Making the Best-Tasting Beet Smoothie:
- Like I mentioned, I recommend at least one of the fruits or veg in this smoothie be frozen. This promotes a creamier consistency and ensures that your smoothie is served cold.
- Add some sweetness! I always add ripe banana to my smoothies – especially smoothies with vegetables in them – to sweeten them. This is also why I included a splash of OJ. No one likes a bitter smoothie!
- Add in some flavour! I always like to add a little something for extra flavour and dimension in my smoothies. Here, I’ve added fresh ginger and again, a splash of orange juice.
- To make sure everything is blended smoothly, use a good blender!
The Best Blender
My Vitamix blender is my favourite kitchen appliance! Not only does it make the smoothest, creamiest smoothies, you can also make a variety of recipes like sauces, dressings, and soups in it, too!
This smoothie recipe makes two servings. If you have leftovers, they will keep well in a sealed container (like a mason jar) in the fridge up to two days, but because the chia seeds absorb liquid, it may thicken up a bit in the fridge.
If you find after a day or so it’s too thick to drink, pop the smoothie back into the blender with a splash of water or juice and blend before serving.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below. Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest so you never miss a new recipe or blog post.
Super-Nutritious Blueberry & Beet Smoothie
- 1 medium ripe banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup frozen beets
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, (learn chia seeds' nutrition benefits)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2/3 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups water, or more to blend
- 1 Blender
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour and serve!