Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
Say hello to your new favourite brunch recipe for spring! This Strawberry Stuffed French Toast looks fancy, but it’s easy to make! As far as French toast goes provides a healthy balance of fibre-rich carbs and protein to keep you full and satisfied.
A Healthy Breakfast/Brunch Recipe:
Are you team sweet or savoury for brunch?
I’m usually team savoury at brunch. But every so often, there will be a mouthwatering ricotta French toast recipe on the menu that I just can’t resist.
That’s where the inspiration for this recipe came from. I just love the combination of sweet, cinnamon-y (let’s pretend that’s a word) French toast paired with creamy ricotta cheese and ripe berries.
While this recipe sounds fancy, it’s actually really easy to make. It calls for just a handful of simple ingredients, and will only take 15-20 minutes of your time. And the result is also quite nutritious, thanks to a balance of whole grain bread, ricotta cheese (hello, protein), and strawberries. Did you know that 1 serving 8 of strawberries has the same amount of vitamin C as an orange? The more you know!
Ingredients for Strawberry Stuffed French Toast:
To make the recipe, you’ll need ingredients to make the strawberry ricotta filling and the milk/egg/cinnamon mixture to dip the bread in. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Strawberry Stuffed French Toast Filling:
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey (or another liquid sweetener like pure maple syrup)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced (plus another cup of strawberries for serving)
For the Milk/Egg/Cinnamon Mixture:
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk (use whatever milk or milk alternative you like!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- generous pinch of salt
Other Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 8 slices of bread (2 per serving!)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced (for topping)
- pure maple syrup (for topping)
- powdered sugar (optional, for topping)
How to Make this Strawberry Stuffed French Toast Recipe:
Make Strawberry Stuffed French Toast Filling
Combine the ricotta, honey, and diced strawberries in a small bowl, then set aside. In a separate shallow dish, whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. At this time, you’ll want to start heating your pan or skillet to medium heat as well.
Spread Filling on the Bread
Divide the ricotta and strawberry filling mixture on half of the bread slices (4 slices), then top each with one remaining slice of bread, creating 4 sandwiches.
Dip in Milk/Egg/Cinnamon Mixture:
Then, dredge both sides of the bread in the milk & egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up the liquid and feel heavy. There should be no liquid left once you’ve dredged each sandwich!
Cook the French Toast
Cook the French toast “sandwiches” on a pan or skillet over medium heat for approx. 3-4 minutes on each side,
until golden brown. Slice each stuffed French toast sandwich in half to serve, and top with sliced strawberries, pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
This recipe is best enjoyed immediately. If you do have leftovers, you can store the French toast in the fridge up to 3 days and reheating on a pan/skillet or in the microwave.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
Did you like this healthy stuffed French toast recipe? Try one of these recipes next!
PS – the Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats are my favourite!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- Double Chocolate Baked Oats
- Vegan Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chunk Baked Oatmeal Cups
Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
For Strawberry Ricotta Filling:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 2 tbsp honey, can sub. for maple syrup
For French Toast:
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- pure maple syrup, for topping
- powdered sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, honey, and diced strawberries, then set aside. Whisk together milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a shallow dish.
- Divide the ricotta and strawberry mixture on 4 slices of bread, then top each with one remaining slice of bread, creating 4 sandwiches.
- Dredge both sides of each sandwich in the milk and egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up the liquid.
- Cook the French toast sandwiches on a pan or skillet set to medium heat, 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Top with sliced strawberries and serve with pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar (optional). Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave a recipe rating and comment below! It supports my business and helps other people find my recipes. 🙂