This warm oatmeal with cinnamon apples will blow you away. It’s deliciously cozy and super healthy. Packed with fibre + antioxidants and warm fall flavours, what’s not to love? An easy, vegan + gluten-free breakfast!
Another fall-inspired recipe coming at you today! This one features one of the most favourite fall foods besides pumpkin, apples! This is one of my favourite apple recipes because it’s easy, it’s super nourishing, and it’s oh so cozy. With just a few tweaks this recipe takes an ordinary bowl of oatmeal and turns it into a warming, comforting autumn breakfast.
Unlike pumpkin – which I really only eat in the fall – apples are a year-round favourite for me. That said, I especially love them in the fall because I enjoy going to apple orchards and picking them myself. For a number of years we’ve made it a little tradition to take a trip to an apple orchard on a crisp fall day and pick our own apples. We make a day of it and grab coffees at a cute cafe, fill bags of apples at the orchard, maybe pick a pumpkin or two and pet some farm animals. All while – of course – snapping a few cute photos for Instagram. I won’t even deny it.
Why I Love Oatmeal with Cinnamon Apples
It’s a fantastic way to use up extra apples. After the apple picking excitement is all said and done, we’re usually left with more apples than we know what to do with. Applesauce, apple crumble bars, apple muffins, I’ve made it all. Time and time again, one of my favourite ways to use my beautiful fall apples is to sauté them in a pan with cinnamon and eat them at breakfast. Can you say cozy?
It’s essentially a warm bowl of fall flavours that you can eat for breakfast. If that doesn’t sell you then I don’t know what will! In all seriousness, it’s a cozy and healthy breakfast to warm you up on the chilliest of fall mornings. It’s also high in fibre (thank you apples, chia seeds, and oats) to keep you full and fuelled for a busy day.
The Benefits of Oatmeal + Apples
As mentioned, this recipe is high in fibre so it will digest slower, keeping you fuller for longer. The fibre comes from our rolled oats, our apples (the skin is the richest source so don’t peel it off), and the chia seeds as well.
The type of fibre found in oatmeal, known as soluble fibre, has cholesterol-lowering benefits, so it’s a wonderful heart-healthy breakfast choice. Besides fibre, apples are also a great source of antioxidants that fight disease and repair cell damage. Not only that, but when warmed in a pan with a little coconut oil, cinnamon and brown sugar, they are incredibly sweet and delicious.
Spiced Oatmeal with Warm Cinnamon Apples
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 + 1/4 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp brown sugar divided
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 0.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium apple
- 1 tbsp peanut butter optional
- In a small saucepan, whisk together oats, chia seeds, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and 1/2 tsp brown sugar. Pour in the milk and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until oats have soaked up most of the milk. When finished, keep covered and warm on low heat.
- Dice the apple and heat your coconut oil on a small frying pan. Once the oil is heated, add the apples to sauté. They should be sizzling on the pan. Sprinkle apples with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp brown sugar and continue to sauté until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Place oats in a bowl and top with your warm apples and 1 tbsp peanut butter (optional). Enjoy!