Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps
These Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps make a delicious healthy breakfast or lunch recipe! With quality protein, healthy fat, and fibre, these vegetarian wraps should keep you feeling full and satisfied for hours.
Pesto and eggs. A combination you may not have thought to try, and one that might even sound a little weird at first. But let me tell you, it’s good. Really good. Especially if you’re a pesto-lover like me.
These Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps are not only tasty, they’re nutritious and balanced. To me, a balanced dish provides multiple food groups at once. Eating balanced meals not only make us more likely to get the nutrients we need, they also help us feel full and satisfied.
In this recipe, we have fibre-rich carbohydrates and vegetables, quality protein from eggs, and healthy fat from our pesto.
How to Make Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps:
Start out by sautéing some spinach in a frying pan with a couple teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Once the spinach is wilted down, transfer it from the pan to a bowl and set aside for later.
Add another teaspoon of oil to your pan. Add diced bell pepper and red onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
Whisk eggs and add them to the pan with the bell pepper and onion and stir with a spatula for another 3-4 minutes in a gentle, circular motion, pushing the eggs around until cooked.
Next, assemble the wraps! To two large whole wheat tortillas, add 1 tablespoon of pesto to each and divide cooked spinach into each wrap. Divide the egg scramble on top of the spinach. If you like, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese!
Gently fold up wrap starting with ends then rolling closed. Serve wraps immediately and enjoy!
When to Eat Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps:
Now I know a wrap with eggs would traditionally be considered a breakfast wrap – but I beg to differ! In my opinion, eggs are so versatile, affordable, and nutritious that they should be enjoyed any time that you want them!
Personally, I’ve enjoyed these wraps for breakfast, lunch and dinner! And I always keep eggs stored in my fridge as an easy protein addition to any meal – like wraps and sandwiches!
Other Healthy Recipes with Eggs:
Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps
- 3 tsp oil, divided, for sauteing
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large tortilla wraps, whole grain or white
- 2 tbsp pesto, homemade or store-bought
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons of oil with spinach. Stir gently until wilted, then remove spinach from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another teaspoon of oil and diced red bell pepper and red onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Add to the pan with the red bell pepper and red onion and stir consistently for another 3-4 minutes with a spatula in a gentle, circular motion until eggs are cooked. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the wraps. To the large tortillas, add 1 tablespoon of pesto to each and divide cooked spinach into each wrap. Divide the eggs into the wraps, on top of the spinach. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese (optional).
- Gently fold up wrap starting with ends then rolling closed. Serve wraps immediately, or option to return to pan and grill seam side down until slightly crisp. Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried these Pesto Vegetable Egg Wraps or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!