One-Bowl Healthy Carrot Muffins
This One-Bowl Healthy Carrot Muffins recipe is easy, nutritious and so yummy! They’re made with good-for-you ingredients and spiced just right. With low-effort and no-mess, you’ll impress your family and friends with this one!
With simple ingredients and one bowl, you can whip up a healthy carrot muffin that the whole family will love. These muffins make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack. I especially love lathering one up with some creamy almond butter. Yum!
What makes these healthy carrot muffins healthy?
This muffin is loaded with nourishing ingredients like whole grain flour (higher in fibre and richer in nutrients than white flour), grated carrots (rich in fibre and vitamin A, plus you won’t even taste them!) and unsweetened applesauce (low in sugar, high in fibre). This recipe also calls for chopped walnuts or pecans on top, which are also source of fibre as well as healthy fat.
Additionally, this recipe can easily be tailored to your individual dietary patterns. I made the recipe vegan by using a “flax egg” (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water) and coconut oil, but feel free to use a conventional large egg and butter if that suits you better. The muffins will be just as delicious and nourishing!
How to Make One-Bowl Carrot Muffins:
First things first, grab a large mixing bowl and a muffin tin! Grease the muffin tin or line it with paper/silicone muffin cups and preheat your oven to 375F.
In the bottom of the bowl, whisk together the flax egg ingredients and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then add maple syrup and coconut oil (can sub for another vegetable oil or softened butter). Mix in applesauce, vanilla and shredded carrots. To this mixture, you’ll add all of the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, spices) except for the chopped nuts and mix to combine.
Divide the muffin batter into the muffin tin (makes 12), sprinkle each muffin with chopped walnuts or pecans and then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Notes About This Recipe:
As mentioned, the recipe calls for chopped walnuts but you could use chopped pecans instead and they are just as delicious!
Feel free to use a regular egg and vegetable oil/butter in place of the flax egg and coconut oil if you like.
Shred your carrots using a large, standing grater. This is what was easiest for me!
Similar Recipes You’ll Love:
Connect with me!
If you try my recipe, let me know in the comments and please leave a rating! It helps more people find my recipes. 🙂
One-Bowl Healthy Carrot Muffins
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted, or butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, for topping
- Prepare “flax egg” in a large mixing bowl by whisking the ground flaxseed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F and grease or line a muffin tin.
- To the flax egg, whisk in maple syrup and oil. Mix in applesauce and vanilla. Add carrots and mix to combine.
- Add all dry ingredients (except walnuts) to the wet mixture in the bowl and stir until just combined – don’t over-mix!
- Pour 1/4 cup batter per muffin tin and sprinkle chopped walnuts over the portioned out batter before baking. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then on a wire cooling rack.
- Muffins will store well in an airtight container at room temperature for approximately 5 days.