Cafe Mocha Overnight Oats (Gluten Free)
Enjoy your coffee AND your breakfast in one with these easy Mocha Overnight Oats! Prep them ahead of time for a quick, delicious and healthy breakfast.
About This Recipe:
If you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe that you can prepare ahead of time, overnight oats are for you!
Overnight oatmeal is a breakfast dish that you can prepare by mixing a handful of simple ingredients together and placing them in the fridge to set overnight. By the time you wake up in the morning, breakfast is ready!
My long-time readers will know that I am a huge overnight oats fan. I have several popular overnight oats recipes here on my blog already, like my Chai Overnight Oats which are perfect for fall, and my Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats which are a great summer staple.
This recipe for Cafe Mocha Overnight Oats is great for any time of the year! What I love most about it is not only are these oats full of chocolatey flavour and good nutrition like protein and fibre-rich carbohydrates, they also offer a little energy boost thanks to the addition of coffee!
Why You Should Eat Oats for Breakfast:
Oats are a breakfast staple in my household, and for good reason! Here’s why I eat oats for breakfast on the regular, and you should too:
- Oats are a source of carbohydrates, which are the brain and muscle’s preferred source of fuel, as the body can most easily convert them to glucose for energy.
- They’re a whole grain. Health Canada encourages the intake of whole grains as part of a healthy eating pattern, and the U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend that half of your grain intake come from whole grain sources.
- Oats are high in fibre, offering 4 grams of fibre per 1/2 cup serving. Fibre is important for regulating digestion, feeding the good bacteria in our gut, stabilizing our blood sugar levels, and helping us to feel fuller for longer.
- They offer a variety of micronutrients like magnesium, phosphorus, thiamine, and iron which all play important roles in our health.
- They’re delicious! Oats have a mild, slightly nutty flavour and are perfect to pair with either sweet or savoury flavours.
Mocha Overnight Oats Ingredients:
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Rolled oats
- Chia seeds
- Cocoa powder
- Instant coffee
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Milk (of your choice)
- Maple syrup
- Optional: Banana, nut butter, or chocolate chips for topping.
How to Make Cafe Mocha Overnight Oats:
Making this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe is quick and easy. Start by mixing the dry ingredients including the oats, chia seeds, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt together in one mixing bowl.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients including the Greek yogurt, milk and maple syrup. Next, mix the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture.
Once everything is combined, divide the mixture into separate containers or mason jars (this recipe makes 2 servings). Seal the containers and place them in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
In the morning, remove the mocha overnight oats from the fridge, add toppings, and enjoy!
Tips for Making Overnight Oats:
- Make sure to store the overnight oats in a sealed container in the refrigerator. They will last in the fridge this way up to 4 days.
- To make this overnight oats recipe vegan, use a non-dairy yogurt in place of Greek yogurt as well as a non-dairy milk product.
- If you are meal-prepping for the week, you can double or triple this recipe to make 4-6 servings at once!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried this overnight oats recipe or any other recipes of mine let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! 🙂
Cafe Mocha Overnight Oats
- sliced banana
- nut butter like peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter
- chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until well-combined.
- Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry and stir until well-combined.
- Divide mixture into 2 separate containers or mason jars. Seal and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, give the oats a stir a serve with optional toppings. Enjoy!