The SuperBowl is right around the corner, and while I’m not the worlds biggest football fan, I’m definitely a fan of SuperBowl Sunday snacks!
Today I’m sharing the perfect shareable Superbowl Sunday snack. Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos. While I love some tortilla chips – especially the ones with “a hint of lime” – I love sweet potatoes even more. I’ve been making roasted sweet potato chips for years. It’s as easy as finely slicing a sweet potato, tossing the slices with oil, salt and pepper, roasting until crispy and ta-da! You’ve got yourself some chips.
I recently had the idea to turn those delicious sweet potato chips into nachos. Pat and I were brainstorming what to eat while watching hockey on TV one Sunday night. He suggested nachos, and while the idea sounded good, I really wasn’t in the mood for a super salty snack. Cue this recipe.
We initially whipped them up on a whim without measuring anything. I snapped a photo for Instagram and you guys loved the idea. So, I figured – why not make them again and again (twist my arm, right?) but this time write down my measurements and share the recipe here. Any excuse to eat more sweet potato nachos, right?
Now I use black beans in my recipe. They’re a great source of things like protein, fibre (making this a super satisfying snack), potassium and folate. Bonus – they’re much cheaper than your traditional nacho topper – ground meat. That being said, feel free to customize your nachos to your liking. If you want to make the recipe fully plant-based, sub the cheddar cheese for vegan cheese and omit the greek yogurt for dipping.
Yes, I said greek yogurt for dipping. Did you know that plain greek yogurt tastes awfully like sour cream but with way more protein? During taco or fajita night I often serve greek yogurt in place of sour cream and it goes totally unnoticed. Give it a try! As always, if you make my recipe – let me know! Share it on your social media, tag me and let me know what you think. Nothing makes me happier than seeing you enjoy my recipes.
Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large green onion finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wash, peel, and slice sweet potatoes into very thin round slices. Place sweet potato slices in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange sweet potatoes on a sprayed baking sheet (or two) and place in the preheated oven. Roast for 15 minutes, remove from oven to flip sweet potato slices, and then roast for another 15 minutes until browned and crispy.
- While potatoes are roasting, drain/rinse beans, prep veggies and cheese. When potatoes are done, arrange roasted potato slices in the middle of one baking sheet and top with beans, veggies and cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove nachos from oven and top with green onions (optional) diced avocado. Serve with salsa and plain greek yogurt (extra protein!) for dipping. Enjoy!