Easy Sheet Pan Black Bean & Sweet Potato Nachos
Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are layered with cheddar cheese, black beans, and fresh vegetables in this easy sheet pan nacho recipe! The result is a plate of crispy, oven-baked sweet potato nachos packed full of nutrition and satisfying flavours. Serve the nachos with a bowl of your favourite salsa, and dive in!
About This Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos Recipe
While I love some tortilla chips – especially the ones that are ‘a hint of lime’ flavoured – I love sweet potatoes even more.
I’ve been making oven-baked sweet potato chips as a healthy appetizer idea for years. It’s as easy as finely slicing a sweet potato, tossing the slices with oil, salt and pepper, roasting them until crispy, and ta-da! You’ve got yourself some sweet potato nacho chips.
I had an idea to turn those delicious sweet potato chips into nachos! Pat and I were brainstorming what to eat while watching TV one evening. He suggested nachos, and while they sounded good, I really wasn’t in the mood for a super salty or greasy snack.
Instead of traditional nachos, we ended up making these nutritious, vegetarian Sweet Potato Nachos, which make a delicious meal, game-day snack, or appetizer idea – just like my Vegetarian Loaded Nachos, Easy Irish Nachos, and Healthy 7-Layer Dip Recipe!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Nachos:
To make these sheet pan sweet potato nachos, you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes, of course
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh vegetables like bell peppers and red onion
- Green onion (optional), for garnish
- Salsa for dipping
- Plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) for dipping
How to Make Sheet Pan Sweet Potato Nachos:
Making sweet potato nachos is easy! First up, we slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds. You can use a knife to slice the potatoes, or a mandoline slicer.
Toss the slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then arrange evenly on a baking sheet (or two) and bake them in the oven at 400F for 30 minutes, flipping the rounds over halfway through.
Tip: Make sure to leave room between each of the potato slices on the baking sheet! If they’re too close together, they won’t crisp up.
When the sweet potato slices are crispy, arrange them in the middle of one baking sheet and layer on the toppings and cheese. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese, then serve with salsa and plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) for dipping.
What Makes Sweet Potato Nachos Healthy?
As a dietitian, you know I have to touch on the nutrition side of things.
I use black beans in my recipe. They’re a great way to add protein, and are a good source of fibre (making this a super satisfying snack), potassium, plant-based iron, and folate. Bonus: they tend to be more affordable than your traditional nacho topper, ground meat.
Using sweet potatoes instead of nacho chips (hey, I love those too) also adds more fibre and healthy carbs as well as vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.
These sheet pan sweet potato nachos are loaded with even more veggies as toppings. We use bell peppers, red onion, and avocado which add important nutrients like fibre, vitamin C, antioxidants, healthy fats, and more.
You can also customize your nachos to suit your preferences/dietary needs. The recipe is naturally gluten-free, but vegan or dairy-free, substitute the cheddar cheese for vegan cheese (or omit altogether) and omit the greek yogurt for dipping.
Why Use Greek Yogurt for Dipping?
Did you know that plain greek yogurt tastes awfully like sour cream, but contains way more protein?
During taco night, fajita night, or when making nachos, I serve plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream and it goes totally unnoticed. Give it a try!
Other Nacho Toppings/Dipping Suggestions:
- Jalapeno peppers (to add a kick)
- Diced roma tomatoes
- Pinto beans
- Yellow corn
- Fresh cilantro
Sweet potato nachos are best served immediately, but if you have leftovers you can store them in the fridge in a food storage container up to 4 days. Reheat before serving!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below. Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me on @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Easy Sheet Pan Black Bean & Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed from the can
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large green onion, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wash, peel, and slice sweet potatoes into very thin round slices.
- Place sweet potato slices in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange sweet potatoes on a sprayed baking sheet (or two) and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven to flip sweet potato slices, and then roast for another 15 minutes until browned and crispy.
- While potatoes are roasting, drain/rinse beans, prep veggies and cheese.
- When potatoes are done, arrange roasted potato slices in the middle of one baking sheet and top with beans, veggies and cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove nachos from oven and top with green onions (optional) diced avocado. Serve with salsa and plain greek yogurt (extra protein!) for dipping. Enjoy!