Nutritious Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats
I absolutely love overnight oats – they’re a simple, grab-able healthy breakfast. This lemon blueberry overnight oats variation is jam-packed full of healthy nutrients and fibre to keep you going all morning long. The consistency is perfect! Vegan substitutions provided.
I’m obsessed with overnight oats (or ONOs, as I like to call them). If you’ve been following my blog or Instagram for a while now, you probably already knew that. I’ve been eating them for years (at least 9) and I’m always coming up with new flavour combinations, like Easy Chai-Spiced Overnight Oats and Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats.
If you’re looking for healthy ideas for breakfast, overnight oats are great. Especially if you’re busy in the mornings. Don’t have time to cook breakfast? Make these the night before, or meal prep them at the start of the week, so that you can grab them out of the fridge and go in the mornings. That’s what I always did when working long days as a dietitian at the hospital.
Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats Ingredients:
To make these Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats, you’ll need:
- Rolled oats, of course. I wrote a post on rolled oats benefits if you want to learn more!
- Greek yogurt, but regular yogurt or non-dairy yogurt will also work. Though there are certain health benefits of eating greek yogurt, like the high protein content, which will help to keep you fuller for longer.
- The milk of your choice. Cow’s milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc.
- Chia seeds, they help thicken the mixture and create the “oatmeal” consistency without actually cooking the oats
- Lemon zest. this adds the tangy, lemon flavour
- Blueberries Fresh or frozen. Most months of the year I use frozen as they’re cheaper. They also add a nice purple colour to the oats!
- A sweetener of your choice, like pure maple syrup. This is totally optional!
How to Make Overnight Oats:
If you’ve never made them before, you’ll be shocked at how easily this healthy breakfast option comes together. They take 5 minutes to prep, and then you just let them sit in the fridge for 4 hours, or overnight.
All you need to do is combine the ingredients in a sealable, airtight container (I like to use mason jars). Feel free to mix them in a bowl first and then transfer to a container if this is easier for you. Mix them up, seal your container or mason jar and place in the fridge overnight! That’s it!
In the morning, remove them from the fridge, add optional toppings (I like to top these ones with extra blueberries and almond butter) and enjoy!
Can I Use Frozen Berries in Overnight Oats?
You can use fresh or frozen berries in your overnight oats! I love using frozen blueberries in my overnight oats because as they defrost their juices seep into the mixture and add natural flavour and sweetness! They also add a pretty purple colour, too.
Can You Make Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats Vegan?
Looking for vegan overnight oats? You can easily make this nutritious recipe for lemon blueberry overnights oats vegan by swapping the plain greek yogurt for a plant-based yogurt variety and by using a non-dairy milk option (like almond, cashew, or oat milk) for your liquid.
Aside from that, the rest of the overnight oats ingredients are already vegan! This recipe is naturally gluten-free, too.
How to Serve Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats:
You can serve these overnight oats cold or warm, whichever you prefer. To serve them warm, just heat in a microwave-save dish in the morning before serving.
As for toppings, you can really use whatever you like. Personally, I like to top my lemon blueberry overnight oats with extra blueberries, a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes, and a drizzle of creamy almond butter. Delicious!
Meal Prep and Storage for Overnight Oats:
This recipe makes one serving of overnight oats, but you can easily double or triple the recipe for meal-prep purposes. Prep once, eat two to three times, right?
Store overnight oats in an airtight container (like a mason jar with a lid) in the fridge. They keep well up to 3 days in the fridge but are best enjoyed after 24-48 hours.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below. Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me on @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Nutritious Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, (rolled oats *not quick oats)
- 2 tsp chia seeds, (learn chia seeds' nutrition benefits)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, for a vegan option, use a non-dairy variety
- 1/3 cup milk of choice, for a vegan option, use a non-dairy variety
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener (optional), like pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container (like a mason jar).
- Let sit in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
- In the morning, add toppings (optional) and enjoy!