High Protein Apple Pie Smoothie
Creamy, sweet, and perfectly spiced, this healthy Apple Pie Smoothie recipe will remind you of the delicious dessert. Made with real apples, frozen banana, warm spices, and vanilla protein powder, this nutritious smoothie recipe is high in protein, fibre, vitamins, and minerals. And its perfect for fall!
Love apple pie? You’re in luck! You can now enjoy the classic sweet and warming flavours of apple pie in your morning smoothie!
Like my Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie, this Apple Pie Smoothie recipe was inspired by the real dessert. It’s made with real apples (skin and everything!), cinnamon, and nutmeg for that apple pie feel.
And like all my healthy smoothie recipes, it’s well-balanced with protein, healthy fats, and fibre. This means you’ll get to enjoy a delicious smoothie and you’ll feel full and energized for longer afterwards.
Nutrition Benefits of this Healthy Apple Pie Smoothie:
As a Registered Dietitian, I create all of my recipes with flavour and nourishment in mind.
And when it comes to smoothies, it’s always my goal to follow my balanced smoothie formula in order to help people build smoothies that are not only delicious, but filling and satisfying, too.
Here are some key things that make this Apple Pie Smoothie healthy and balanced:
- Fibre: Thanks to using real apple, banana, and a date, this smoothie contains dietary fibre that helps fill you up, balance blood sugar levels, and promote healthy digestion.
- Protein: This macronutrient is key for feeling full after eating. Luckily, this Apple Pie Protein Smoothie contains good sources of protein, including vanilla protein powder and almond butter.
- Healthy Fats: I like to add a dose of healthy fats to my smoothies. In this smoothie, I like to use almond butter, but you can also add flax, chia, or hemp seeds!
- Vitamins and Minerals: Luckily, just about all of the ingredients in this smoothie offer a variety of micronutrients that benefit health. Like vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants!
Apple Pie Smoothie Ingredients:
Here’s what you need to make this smoothie recipe, along with some substitutions that you can make if you don’t have certain ingredients:
- Apple: The star of the recipe! You can really use any type of apple that you like. Some of my favourites are Honey Crisp, Gala, and Paula Red.
- Banana: I recommend using frozen banana so that your smoothie will be creamy and cold.
- Date: This is primarily for some natural sweetness. You can use a touch of honey or maple syrup if you don’t have dates on hand.
- Almond butter: This adds to the creamy texture of the smoothie as well as healthy fats and extra protein. You can substitute this with cashew butter or peanut butter, or a tablespoon of flax, chia, or hemp seeds.
- Vanilla protein powder: If you don’t have protein powder, you can use 3/4 cup of greek yogurt (plain or vanilla).
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt: These spices give that nice and warm apple pie flavour! You can also add a pinch of ground ginger if you like.
- Milk of your choice: For a higher protein option, choose dairy or soy milk!
Is This Apple Pie Smoothie Vegan?
It very easily can be a vegan apple pie smoothie! Just use a plant-based vanilla protein powder and a plant-based milk variety for a totally vegan and plant-based smoothie.
This smoothie recipe is also naturally gluten-free.
Can You Make This Smoothie Ahead of Time?
This Apple Pie Protein Shake is definitely best enjoyed immediately after making. That said, you can make it up to 24 hours before enjoying it if you are looking to save time. It will keep in the fridge for about a day.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes:
- Fibre-Rich Orange Carrot Smoothie
- The Ultimate 5-Minute Morning Smoothie
- Green Power Smoothie
- Cinnamon Roll Smoothie
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
High Protein Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 Blender
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour and serve!