This creamy pumpkin sage sauce paired with your favourite pasta noodles makes the ultimate healthy comfort food. Say hello to your new favourite fall recipe – Healthy Pumpkin Pasta!
For this healthy pumpkin pasta dish, I paired two of my favourite things together. Pasta, of course, and a creamy, dreaaaamy sauce. The creamy sauce has a autumn twist, thanks to the pumpkin. Not only does the pumpkin add a fall flare, it also contributes to the creaminess of the sauce without being overly heavy.
A Few Notes on This Recipe:
Despite the creaminess, the sauce is actually “lightened-up” a little thanks to pumpkin and veggie broth. There is still some butter and cream in there, but just enough to get the perfect creamy texture without making your stomach feel overly full and heavy afterwards.
I also tossed in some spinach at the end. Not only for nutrition, but also to add a pop of colour to an otherwise kind of boring looking orange meal! Spinach adds fibre as well as important vitamins and minerals like vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, and folate.
When creating this recipe, I used fettuccine pasta, however you can feel free to use whichever type of pasta your heart desires. For additional good-for-you nutrients and increased fibre to balance blood sugars and keep you fuller longer, try cooking this dish with whole wheat pasta noodles or even a legume-based pasta instead.
This Healthy Pumpkin Pasta is:
- Quick and easy to make
- The ultimate healthy comfort food
- The perfect fall meal!
Similar recipes to try:
Healthy Pumpkin Pasta
- 8 oz. pasta noodles of choice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage divided
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp cream or half and half
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4-6 oz. spinach
- parmesan cheese optional, for serving
- Boil a large pot of water for your pasta. Once the water is boiling, add pasta noodles (I used whole wheat fettuccine) and boil until al dente (7-11 minutes). Drain in a colander.
- While waiting for water to boil, prepare the pumpkin sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan then add minced garlic and 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh sage. Saute over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until garlic and sage are fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin puree and vegetable broth to the saucepan and stir to combine. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Stir together and allow sauce to simmer over medium-low heat until pasta is done cooking. Stir occasionally.
- Once the pasta is done and in your colander, add your half and half/cream to the saucepan. Stir into pumpkin sauce.
- To your large pot, add your pasta back and pour pumpkin sauce over top, keeping the pot on low heat. Add spinach and toss it with pasta + sauce, allowing it to wilt down. Once spinach is wilted and pasta is coated with sauce, serve with remaining chopped sage and parmesan cheese (optional).