An easy and healthy Italian dressing recipe that tastes great on a variety of salad combinations! Make a batch at the start of the week for delicious salads all week long!
What’s your go-to salad dressing? Say you’re at a restaurant and the waiter asks you what dressing you’d like for your side garden salad...what do you say?
My pick: Italian dressing. I love that zesty flavour!
I’ve recently come up with my own homemade healthy Italian dressing recipe, because why not? Home made dressings save you money and this one in particular is so dang easy to make. You still get all of the zesty Italian flavour with just a handful of simple ingredients.
Ingredients for this Healthy Italian Dressing Recipe:
This recipe only calls for 5 ingredients! Six if you count the salt and pepper. 🙂 To make this homemade dressing, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil: you can use light or virgin olive oil as well, but extra-virgin olive oil provides the best flavour for salad dressings.
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar: if you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning: a blend of dried Italian-inspired herbs such as basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced: can’t forget the garlic! If you don’t have fresh garlic, use 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- 2 tablespoons honey: for a little sweetness. to make this recipe vegan, you can substitute the honey for agave syrup or pure maple syrup.
- Salt and pepper: to taste.
How to Make This Homemade Dressing:
Making this healthy Italian dressing is so easy.
Step 1: Add all Healthy Italian Dressing ingredients to a mason jar
First, grab a mason jar or other container with a lid that seals tightly.
Next, add all of the dressing ingredients to the jar and screw or seal the lid on tight.
Step 2: Shake the dressing to mix
Then, give it a good shake! Shake vigorously for 30 to 60 seconds to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Lastly, enjoy immediately on a salad or store the dressing in the mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How long will this salad dressing keep in the fridge?
The awesome thing about this recipe is that you can store the dressing in the same jar you mix it in! Place a lid on the mason jar and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If storing in the fridge, you may need to give it another good shake prior to each use.
What can I enjoy this Healthy Italian Dressing with?
You can enjoy this healthy Italian dressing recipe with a variety of different salad combinations! Enjoy it on pasta salad, or a variety of garden salad mixtures. The sky is the limit!
Check out these other healthy salad dressing recipes:
- All-Purpose Mason Jar Salad Dressing – Mad About Food
- Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing – Fit Foodie Finds
- Lemon Honey Vinaigrette – Hannah Magee RD
- Healthy Greek Dressing – Ambitious Kitchen
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Did you try this recipe? I would love if you’d leave me a comment and recipe rating below! It helps other people find my recipes and supports my blog. 🙂
Healthy Italian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar and tightly screw on the lid.
- Shake vigorously for 30 to 60 seconds to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve immediately with salad or store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.