Healthy sweet potato bread is the perfect fall baked good. Spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and made with nutritious ingredients. It’s the perfect recipe to share with loved ones over a cozy mug of coffee or tea. It’s vegan and oil-free, too!
If you’re still not the hunt for cozy fall recipes but want to branch out from all things pumpkin, this is the perfect recipe for you! Healthy sweet potato bread – cinnamon sweet potato bread, might I add. It’s similar to a loaf of pumpkin bread, but sweet potato puree is used instead!
It’s an easy quick bread to make and oh so delicious. I love warming up a slice and enjoying it with a pat of almond butter, beside a cozy mug of coffee. Can you say fall vibes?
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
It’s rises beautifully in the oven so it’s fluffy and the sweet potato puree + applesauce combination make it moist and chewy. To those who despise the word moist, I apologize.
It’s simple to make. Puree some sweet potato (it’s easy, and I’ll walk you through in the instructions), mix your dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine it all together and let it bake! Nothing complicated here!
It’s healthy! Made with whole wheat flour (more fibre + nutrients!), pure sweet potato (loaded with vitamin A + fibre), and unsweetened applesauce.
Tips for Making This Healthy Sweet Potato Bread
When mixing the wet ingredients into the dry, mix gently and be careful not to over-mix! Mix just until the batter is well-combined, no more! If you over-mix, this may result in a tougher, denser bread. We want fluffy!
Before baking, sprinkle the loaf with a handful of chopped pecans and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). This is totally optional, but adds a satisfying crunch and all the fall vibes.
Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving! This also ensures that it maintains it’s height + fluffy-ness.
Healthy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pecan pieces and pepitas for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Puree your sweet potato by bringing a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato cubes and bring to a boil once again in the water. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the cubes are fork-tender. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until creamy and smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed and water and set aside. To a large mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add sweet potato puree, maple syrup, unsweetened applesauce and vanilla extract. Whisk together to combine.
- Add wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient mixture in the large mixing bowl. Mix together gently until everything is combined, be careful not to over-mix!
- Transfer batter to your lined loaf pan and spread evenly. Optional: sprinkle the top with pecan pieces and pepitas. Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool sweet potato bread completely, then remove from loaf pan. Slice and serve.