Healthy Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sweetened with ripe mashed banana and brown sugar (plus some chocolate chips mixed in), these healthy banana bread cookies are perfect for those looking for a gooey and delicious cookie recipe that’s nutritious for you too. Made with whole wheat flour for extra fibre, plus coconut oil and applesauce so that they’re vegan too. They’re ready in 20 minutes, but I promise it’ll be hard for you to even wait that long!
Cookies are my favourite dessert. More specifically, chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favourite dessert. Bonus points if they’re freshly baked.
My OG chocolate chip cookies recipe is always a hit with friends, family, and my Instagram followers. I swear every time I post a link to the cookies it gets 10x more clicks than the other recipe links I share.
This cookie recipe is a little bit different. While still soft, chewy, and sweet, they’re more like a healthy chocolate chip cookie than a traditional one. I like to call them banana bread cookies because they get a portion of their sweetness from ripe banana. And the sweet banana flavour comes through!
So if you’re looking for a healthy dessert recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth but offer wholesome ingredients, these banana bread chocolate chip cookies are definitely for you.
Ingredients You Need:
I’m a Registered Dietitian and I don’t believe anyone should ever be deprived of their favourite desserts. Whether that’s a traditional butter-flour-sugar chocolate chip cookie, or a ‘healthier’ version. In fact, I firmly believe that both can (and should) be fully enjoyed guilt-free.
So, while this specific cookie recipe is made with more nutrient-dense ingredients (see below), that doesn’t mean you’re morally being any better or worse by eating them. There’s a time and place for everything!
With that said, here’s what’s in the vegan banana bread cookies:
- Coconut oil: A great vegan alternative to butter for baking!
- Brown sugar: Yes, there is still some added sugar in these cookies. Just less.
- Ripe banana: For natural sweetness and that lovely banana bread flavour.
- Unsweetened applesauce: A lower fat alternative to oil in baking, and can also replace eggs in plant-based baking recipes.
- Whole wheat flour: I like to use this for the extra fibre and micronutrients compared to all purpose. That being said, if you don’t have it you can stick to all-purpose baking flour.
- Vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt: The usual baking suspects!
- Chocolate chips: Semi sweet, dark, or milk chocolate chips will work.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Tips for Making Better Chocolate Chip Cookies:
As a full-time recipe developer and chocolate chip cookie lover, I’ve learned that there are some things you can do to consistently produce better chocolate chip cookies! These tips apply to these banana bread chocolate chip cookies, too:
- Use a cookie scoop instead of a spoon for more uniform cookies with that round cookie shape.
- Gently press these cookies down with the back of a fork before baking. Again, this helps with that round cookie shape.
- For better-looking cookies, add 3-4 chocolate chips on top of each cookie dough scoop before baking.
- A sprinkle of flaky sea salt before baking looks nice and balances out all the sweet with a little touch of salty.
Storing the Banana Bread Cookies:
The cookies are fairly moist thanks to the banana, coconut oil, and applesauce, so I recommend storing them in the refrigerator rather than at room temperature. They will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 week.
These cookies also freeze well. To do so, stash them in a freezer-safe bag or container and they will keep well frozen up to 3 months. Then, defrost at room temperature or in the microwave before serving.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Healthy Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, cream together the coconut oil and brown sugar.
- Mix in the mashed banana, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Add whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, then scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet (approx. 1 tbsp per cookie).
- Top each with 3-4 chocolate chips, then bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Transfer from baking sheet to a wire rack to cool, then enjoy.