Easy Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
These Easy Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers are a quick, healthy, and flavourful dinner meal for any night of the week! The recipe is naturally gluten-free and takes only 35 minutes to make.
About This Recipe:
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and nutritious dinner recipe, you’ve come to the right place.
This recipe for Taco Stuffed Bell peppers comes together in 35 minutes or less and its packed with flavour, nutrition, a little bit of cheese, and just the right amount of heat. If that doesn’t sound like the perfect dinner meal, I don’t know what does!
I used to be intimidated by recipes for stuffed peppers. Then I learned how truly simple and quick (not to mention healthy) they can be. So if this is your first attempt at the dish, you’re in a for a pleasant surprise!
Ingredients for Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers:
To make this Tex-Mex inspired stuffed peppers recipe, you’ll need:
- Bell peppers (I like to use yellow, red and orange)
- Lean ground meat (like beef, chicken or turkey)
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Jalapeno pepper
- Homemade fajita seasoning
- Black beans
- Lettuce and cilantro (for topping)
- Sour cream or greek yogurt (for topping)
How to Make These Easy Stuffed Peppers:
To make the Taco Stuffed Peppers, you’ll need the ingredients listed above, approximately 35 minutes, a large baking dish, and a large frying pan.
Start by preheating your oven. Wash the bell peppers and remove the stem and seeds, then slice each pepper in half and arrange them in the prepared baking dish. Next, cook the meat on the stove in the olive oil, and then stir in the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and homemade fajita seasoning.
Add the black beans, corn and salsa to the mixture and stir everything together until well-combined. Finally, divide the mixture evenly among the bell pepper halves and top each with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the peppers are cooked but still firm and the cheese is melted. Serve with cilantro, shredded lettuce and sour cream or plain greek yogurt!
Nutrition Benefits of Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers:
As a dietitian, I’m a big fan of stuffed peppers because they’re centred around vegetables! The main ingredient is bell peppers, which are a great source of vitamin C (did you know that one red bell pepper has more vitamin C than an orange?) as well as vitamin E, potassium, folate, and fibre.
In addition to the peppers, this recipe incorporates a variety of nutritious ingredients like ground meat (a good source of protein, iron and vitamin B12), and black beans (a good source of fibre, iron, manganese and magnesium).
Another health benefit of this recipe is that it pairs a great source of iron (the meat and black beans) with a great source of vitamin C (the bell peppers). Pairing a source of vitamin C with a source of iron (like the meat and black beans) helps the body absorb the iron and reap its benefits. Yay!
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have any leftovers of these Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers, I recommend storing them in an airtight container (separate from the lettuce and sour cream) in the fridge up to 5 days. Remove from the fridge and re-heat in the microwave or oven, then enjoy with the optional toppings.
Important Note: This recipe makes enough of the ground meat mixture to divide amongst approximately 6 medium bell peppers. If you don’t have 6 peppers, you can save the remaining stuffing mixture to add to things like burrito bowls, tacos, or wraps.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried this stuffed peppers recipe or any other recipes of mine, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! 🙂
Also, be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!
Easy Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 medium bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground meat, beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 batch homemade fajita seasoning
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce, for topping
- sour cream or plain greek yogurt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Remove stem and seeds from bell peppers then slice each pepper in half and arrange evenly in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large pan on the stove, warm olive oil over medium high eat. Add ground meat (like beef, chicken or turkey) and cook, stirring frequently until browned and cooked through.
- Add diced onion, minced garlic, and diced jalapeno pepper to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chilli powder, cumin, paprika, chilli flakes and salt as well as the black beans and corn. Mix everything together until well-combined.
- Remove pan from heat and spoon the meat mixture evenly into the sliced bell pepper halves in the baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes. Serve stuffed peppers immediately with shredded lettuce and a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
Super delicious and quick to prepare
Thank you so much! Glad to hear.
In the instructions it says to add a few spices, not the fajita mix, do I add the whole batch to the meat?
The salsa also wasn’t mentioned in the instructions but I assume it’s added to the meat ?
Hi Kelsey, thanks for your questions. Yes – you can add the fajita mix batch to the meat as well as the salsa. I’ll update the recipe card/instructions promptly. Apologies for any confusion!!