Easy & Nutritious Vegetable Lasagna Soup
If you like lasagna, you’re going to absolutely love this Vegetable Lasagna Soup recipe. This recipe is high in protein and fibre as it’s packed with nourishing ingredients including six different vegetables, lean ground beef, and whole grain lasagna noodles. And don’t forget about the creamy ricotta topping that helps make the soup just as delicious and comforting as it is healthy, satisfying, and easy to make.
It’s soup season! And you know I love cozy, nourishing soup recipes. Not only are soups a great dish to warm up with, they’re a great opportunity to sneak in lots of vegetables and nourishing ingredients.
In additional to being nutritious and comforting, most soups are also easy to make and great for meal prep – including this easy and healthy Vegetable Lasagna Soup recipe.
What is Lasagna Soup?
Lasagna soup basically emulates lasagna, in soup form! Lasagna soup is a tomato-based soup containing lasagna noodles and like traditional lasagna, ground beef. Like this recipe, it may also include vegetables like mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini.
Many lasagna soup recipes also involve a ricotta cheese mixture (like lasagna does) that is stirred into the soup and/or served on top. Lasagna soup tends to be a heartier soup and a great comfort food dish.
Vegetable Lasagna Soup Ingredients:
As a dietitian, I of course wanted to find a way to increase the nutritional value of my lasagna soup recipe. Therefore, I made sure to include lots of vegetables in addition to lean ground beef and the lasagna noodles.
Ingredients for Healthy Vegetable Lasagna Soup:
- olive oil
- white mushrooms
- ground beef
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned tomato sauce
- vegetable broth
- whole wheat lasagna noodles
- baby spinach
Ingredients for the Cheesy Ricotta Topping:
- ricotta cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
What Makes a Healthy Lasagna Soup?
Most lasagna soup recipes are already quite nourishing. Common lasagna soup ingredients like ground beef, noodles, ricotta cheese, and canned tomatoes (protein, carbohydrates, fat and veggies) are the foundations for a nutritionally balanced and satisfying meal.
I just made some small tweaks here to make my lasagna soup recipe even more nutritious. Here are some reasons why this Vegetable Lasagna Soup is healthy for you:
- Adding lots of vegetables. There is a variety of six veggies in this lasagna soup, including onions, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, spinach, and tomatoes. Adding vegetables adds fibre, important micronutrients, and compounds like antioxidants that help to prevent disease.
- Increasing the fibre. We’ve done this by adding veggies, but I also upped the fibre content of this soup by swapping regular lasagna noodles for whole grain ones. This adds fibre and nutrients like magnesium, iron, and folate that whole grain products contain higher amounts of.
- Adequate protein. I made sure we had a quality protein source (ground beef) in this soup as it’s important for satisfaction and feeling full for longer.
How to Make Vegetarian Lasagna Soup:
Want to make this Lasagna Soup vegetarian? You can simply swap out the ground beef used in the recipe for a plant-based ground “beef” alternative like Beyond Beef, or omit the beef altogether. I have made this soup with both regular lean ground beef and Beyond Beef and both were equally delicious!
To make this lasagna soup vegan, use a plant-based beef alternative and omit the cheese topping. If you’re gluten-free, you can substitute the whole wheat lasagna noodles with a gluten-free lasagna noodle variety.
Storage Tips & Suggestions:
Store lasagna soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days. I recommend storing the ricotta topping separately from the soup. Then, reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stove and serve with the ricotta topping.
Alternatively, this soup freezes well (without the ricotta topping) in an airtight container up to 3 months.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below. Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Easy & Nutritious Vegetable Lasagna Soup
For the Vegetable Lasagna Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken in quarters
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
For the Ricotta Topping:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef and brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Once the meat is browned, add onion, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the seasonings, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth and bring mixture to a boil. Mean while, make the ricotta topping by mixing together the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan in a small bowl.
- Once boiling, add the broken up lasagna noodles and boil for 5-7 minutes until al dente.
- Stir in the zucchini and spinach and cook for another 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat.
- To serve, add a dollop of ricotta mixture to the bottom of each bowl, then ladle the soup over top. Add another dollop of ricotta mixture on top, and garnish with chopped parsley (optional). Enjoy!