Easy Air Fryer Delicata Squash
Crisp and caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside, this Air Fryer Delicata Squash is the perfect autumn side dish. And it only takes 15 minutes to make! All you need to make this quick, easy and healthy side dish is your air fryer, delicata squash, olive oil, and a few simple spices.
Delicata squash is my all-time favourite winter squash.
It’s slightly sweet, versatile, and you can eat the skin (no peeling required)! When roasted at high heat (in the oven or the air fryer), it gets crisp and slightly caramelized on the outside, while the inside flesh stays nice and tender.
I already have an easy Oven-Roasted Delicata Squash recipe here on my blog. But for those who are just as obsessed with their air fryer as I am, I wanted to cook up some delicious delicata squash in the air fryer.
The result? Similar to roasted delicata, this air fryer delicata squash has that same outer crisp with a soft and tender inside. But the best part is that it takes half the time (yep, only 15 minutes!) to cook.
It’s the perfect healthy side dish recipe to serve during the fall, winter, and holiday seasons. You can also serve it on salads (like I do on my Nourishing Roasted Delicata Squash Salad) and delicious grain bowls.
Nutrition Benefits of Delicata Squash:
As a Registered Dietitian, I can definitely appreciate the nutrition benefits that squash offers us. It’s a bit underrated in my opinion!
- Fibre: Delicata squash is rich in dietary fibre (especially if you eat the skin!). Fibre is an important component to include in meals and snacks for a variety of reasons. It helps to fill you up, balance blood sugar levels, and keep digestion in check.
- Potassium: Potassium is a mineral (that acts as an electrolyte) that helps to regulate blood pressure. Just 1 cup of delicata squash offers 500mg of potassium!
- Vitamin C: We know vitamin C plays an important role in immune support and regulation. Luckily, delicata squash in season during cold and flu season, which is probably when we need that vitamin C most!
How to Cook Delicata Squash in the Air Fryer:
How to Season Delicata Squash:
Delicata squash is very versatile. Because of its subtly sweet flavour, it can really be prepared in a savoury or sweet fashion.
Here are some ways you can season it:
- Keep it simple with just salt and pepper
- Go the sweet route with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- With savoury spices and herbs like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried thyme or parsley, rosemary, and more!
My personal favourite (which is included in the recipe below) is to season my delicata with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried thyme. It’s so simple, but so good!
What to Serve it With:
As I mentioned, you can serve this air fryer delicata squash:
- On its own as a side dish
- On top of salads and grain bowls, like my Roasted Delicata Squash Salad or my Autumn Kale Salad with Maple Balsamic Dressing
- As a snack with hummus for dipping
While this recipe is best served immediately, you can store leftovers in an airtight container up to 5 days.
My Ninja AF101 4-Quart Air Fryer is one of my favourite kitchen appliances. It’s easy to use and it crisps, roasts, reheats, and more! I rely on it for quick and easy recipes – like my Air Fryer Delicata Squash! Plus, its dishwasher safe so its super easy to clean.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Easy Air Fryer Delicata Squash
- Start by washing the squash, cutting off the ends, and slicing it in half length-wise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and loose inner flesh.
- Next, slice each half into approximately 1-inch half-moon slices.
- Toss the squash slices with oil, salt, pepper, and optional spices like garlic powder and dried thyme.
- Arrange in an air fryer basket. Try your best to space them out evenly, then air fry at 400F for 12 minutes, flipping the slices over halfway through.