Creamy Greek Yogurt Avocado Salad Dressing
Vibrant, green, creamy, and tangy! This blended Greek Yogurt Avocado Dressing will be a nutritious and flavourful addition to your favourite salads. Made with fresh herbs, plain Greek yogurt, creamy avocado, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and garlic, this salad dressing offers healthy fats, protein, and an array of micronutrients. It takes less than 10 minutes to make and pairs well with a variety of salads.
If there’s one thing that makes or breaks a salad, it’s the dressing.
While homemade salad dressings require a little more effort than store-bought, the benefits are so worth it. There’s so much more freshness and flavour, like in my Blender Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing and my Creamy Greek Yogurt Poppyseed Dressing.
And there’s a reason I like to make Greek yogurt recipes – including salad dressings. It adds both creaminess and nutrition – and who doesn’t want that in their salad dressing? As a Registered Dietitian, I definitely do!
What Makes this Dressing Healthy?
All of the ingredients in this Greek Yogurt Avocado Dressing are fresh, simple, and nutritious:
- Plain Greek yogurt: Not only adds creaminess, but also adds a boost of high-quality protein, calcium, and other micronutrients like riboflavin and zinc.
- Avocado: This also contributes to the smooth and creamy texture of the dressing, and it incorporates a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats and dietary fibre.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Another great source of healthy fats, as well as antioxidants that help the body protect against cell damage and disease development.
- Fresh cilantro and parsley: Herbs aren’t just for flavour! Just like leafy greens, fresh herbs like cilantro and parsley offer vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals and antioxidants.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic also includes compounds that may help with things like lowering blood cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, and supporting the immune system.
Making Blended Avocado Greek Yogurt Dressing:
To make this dressing, you’ll need a blender or food processor. I use my mini food-processor and it works just fine.
Start by blitzing the cilantro, fresh parsley, and garlic until its very finely chopped (almost into a paste). Next, add the remaining ingredients (avocado, plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper).
Process or blend everything together again until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Taste, and adjust flavours if you like. If needed, you can add a couple tablespoons of water and blend again to thin it to your desired consistency.
Ingredient Substitutions & Storage Tips:
I recommend storing the Greek Yogurt Avocado Salad Dressing in a jar (like a mason jar) or airtight container. Store it in the fridge up, and it will keep up to 5 days.
To make this recipe vegan, feel fee to swap the Greek yogurt for a plain (unsweetened) plant-based Greek yogurt variety.
If you prefer, you can use just cilantro or just parsley instead of both. Just omit one and double the other.
Ways to Use Greek Yogurt Avocado Dressing:
- On your favourite salads, like my Kale, Quinoa & Chickpea Salad
- On pasta salad
- As a spread on sandwiches and wraps
- As a topping on fajitas or tacos, like my Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas or 25-Minute Shrimp Tacos
- As a dip with raw vegetables and crackers
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Greek Yogurt Avocado Salad Dressing
- To a blender or food processor, add cilantro, fresh parsley, and garlic cloves. Blitz until everything is finely chopped, almost into a paste.
- Add Greek yogurt, avocado, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper, then process again for 60-90 seconds until smooth, creamy, and blended.
- If needed, add 1-2 tbsp water and blend again to thin to desired consistency.