A cozy, creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup soup that will warm you right up on chilly fall and winter days. It’s plant-based, healthy, and totally delicious! Great for meal-prep and freezer-friendly.
It’s soup season, baby. The weather is cooling off, the sweaters are coming out, and the soups are simmering on the stoves. Not only does soup make a cozy meal to warm up with, it’s also a great to meal prep or freeze for later on.
If you’re a lover of creamy, puree-like soups, you’re gonna love this sweet potato and butternut squash soup. It takes advantage of fall produce including squash, sweet potatoes, carrots and apples. With wholesome plant-based ingredients and warm spices, it’s packed with nutrition and cozy fall flavour.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
It’s pureed to creamy perfection. Pair it with a slice of crusty bread for ultimate satisfaction.
It’s flavoured with spices including nutmeg, ginger and cloves to make you feel warm and cozy. It also makes your kitchen smell aaaamazing.
In addition, it’s totally plant-based and packed with nutrition. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and a great source of vitamin A and C, potassium, magnesium, fibre and more.
How to Make Creamy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
It’s pretty simple! You sauté your onions and then add the rest of your chopped veggies, apple and spices. Then simmer it all in veggie stock until it’s all soft enough to puree. Lastly, throw in some coconut milk for extra creaminess and you’re done!
You can use an immersion blender or a high-speed blender (I tend to use my Vitamix) to puree the soup. The longer you blend the soup, the creamier it gets.
A Few Notes on This Recipe
It’s a great meal-prep recipe! So it’s wonderful to cook at the start of the week to pack in lunches or have for dinner during the week.
It freezes really well, so if you want to make it and freeze for a day when you need something quick and cozy, this is great!
It’s beautiful garnished with something green (think parsley, pumpkin seeds or chives) and a drizzle more of coconut milk or cream.
Creamy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed peeled and cubed
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored, and cubed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt more to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- optional toppings: fresh herbs or pepitas
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion to pot and cook until translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, vegetable broth and spices. Stir gently.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook for another 20 minutes or until veggies can easily be pierced with a fork. Turn off heat.
- After transferring pot contents to a high-speed blender OR with an immersion blender, begin to puree the soup, adding in the coconut milk after a couple minutes. Depending on the strength of your blender, it may take 5-7 minutes to get your soup creamy and smooth.
- Top soup as desired and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.