Cookies and Cream Banana Ice Cream (Vegan)
This vegan, dairy-free cookies & cream banana ice cream is the easiest homemade ice cream you’ll make this summer. All you need is bananas and cookies!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a full-fat, creamy, real-deal ice cream and will enjoy it whenever I want to. This cookies and cream banana ice cream was not created for you to eat in place of traditional ice cream because it’s “healthier”. In my eyes, ALL foods fit. You can actually read here why I’m not a fan of diet ice cream anyways.
Honestly, I stumbled into this recipe one Friday afternoon when I was having trouble focusing and wanted to get creative in the kitchen. I had a ton of over-ripe frozen bananas and a surplus of chocolate cookies to use up. I thought – why not try to whip up a delicious frozen dessert with these ingredients?
The result was this creamy, dreamy, dairy-free and vegan recipe for cookies & cream ice cream.
So if you’re in the same boat and you’ve got some frozen bananas or oreo cookies that you want to put to good use, this recipe is totally for you!
How to Make Banana Ice Cream:
To make this ice cream, you’ll need 4-5 frozen ripe bananas and a blender or food processor. If not already sliced, slice the frozen bananas into coins and process them on high for 3-4 minutes (stopping occasionally to scrape the sides with a spatula as necessary) until thick, smooth and creamy with no lumps.
To add a little flavour to the banana ice cream, feel free to add 1 tsp vanilla extract, but this is totally optional. You may also need to add 1-2 tbsp of non-dairy milk to help the frozen bananas blend. Whether or not this is necessary may depend on your blender/food processor’s capabilities.
Once the bananas are blended into a smooth, creamy ice cream base, add your Oreo cookies! For this recipe I use Oreos because they’re vegan-friendly, but you can use other hard cookies if you like. You will need about 8 Oreos. Add them to the food processor with the banana ice cream and pulse until the cookies are broken down and well-combined. It should look like this:
You can enjoy the banana ice cream immediately (it will be more like a soft-serve consistency). If you want a hard ice cream consistency, scoop the mixture from the blender and spread evenly into a loaf pan. Freeze for a minimum for 4 hours (I like to leave it overnight) and then scoop from the pan with an ice cream scoop. Serve as is or add some crushed Oreos and enjoy!
Other Banana Ice Cream Flavours:
Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Love the looks of this recipe? Tried it out? Leave a recipe rating + comment below and let me know!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag @hannahmagee_rd if you make my recipes! Enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Banana Ice Cream
- 4-5 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- 8 Oreo cookies, or other vegan chocolate cookie
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk, to blend
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- Add sliced frozen bananas to a powerful blender or food processor. Process for 3-5 minutes, scraping sides with a spatula as needed, until smooth and creamy. While processing, add plant-based milk (as needed) and vanilla extract (optional).
- Add the whole Oreos to the blender/food processor. Pulse several times until cookies have broken down, but some cookie chunks remain intact.
- For soft-serve ice cream you can serve immediately. For hard ice cream, transfer to a loaf pan and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours. Use an ice cream scoop to serve and enjoy!