These blueberry coffee cake muffins dusted with a light cinnamon brown sugar topping are perfect for breakfast or snack! Pair with a delicious coffee, of course.
Healthy-ish blueberry coffee cake muffins? Yes please!
About These Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
This recipe was actually adapted from my mom’s blueberry coffee cake recipe. I turned it into a muffin recipe, added whole wheat flour, and cut back the sugar a little. Don’t worry, they’re still sweet! And oh so delicious.
Because it was originally my mom’s blueberry coffee cake, this recipe holds a special place in my heart. I grew up enjoying this recipe on special occasions and family brunch gatherings. My favourite part? The delicious cinnamon brown sugar topping that melts in your mouth when you bite into it.
Don’t just take my word for it, you’ll have to try this recipe for yourself!
How to Make This Recipe:
I recommend using a stand mixer or electric beaters to make the mixing easier!
Then, in your mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. This is where beaters definitely come in handy! Crack in the eggs and beat again.
Add your remaining dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and mix until just combined. Pour in your milk (I used dairy milk but feel free to use what you have) and mix to combine, being careful not to over-mix!
Fold in lemon zest and blueberries, then divide the batter into a prepared muffin tin. Top each muffin with the cinnamon brown sugar mixture (see recipe below). Then bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Storing Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins:
When the muffins are finished baking, cool them in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Once the muffins are cooled, you can store them in an airtight container or sealed freezer bag at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or, you can freeze the muffins up to 3 months.
If you want to make this recipe vegan, you can easily do so but substituting a vegan butter alternative for traditional butter, flax or chia “eggs” instead of traditional eggs and a non-dairy mylk (like a nut or oat beverage) instead of cow’s milk.
If you don’t have whole wheat flour, using all purpose flour instead of both whole wheat and all purpose will be just fine.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes:
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a muffin pan with oil or muffin liners. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mixing well to combine.
- Add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt and baking powder then mix until just combined. All milk and mix until just combined, being mindful not to over-mix!
- Fold lemon zest and blueberries into the muffin batter, then divide batter into the muffin pan.
- Whisk together brown sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle approx. 1 heaping tsp of the cinnamon sugar on to each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Store muffins at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!