Black Bean & Sweet Potato Taco Salad Bowls
I absolutely love taco salad bowls — they’re a simple, healthy option for dinner. This vegetarian taco salad bowl recipe combines chopped romaine lettuce, spice-roasted sweet potato, cooked black beans, and canned corn. It’s an easy, satisfying meal, and taco bowl assembly is quick—just 35 minutes!
Disclaimer: This post was developed in partnership with Del Monte Canada however all opinions are my own.
If you’re like me, you’re always on the hunt for healthy ideas for dinner that are just as tasty as they are simple to make and enjoyable to eat.
Tacos, taco bowls, and burritos are frequent in our meal rotation. They tend to be quick, tasty and nourishing because we load them up with veggies, herbs and spices. This Taco Salad Bowl recipe is no different!
If you’re plant-based or just trying to incorporate more plant-forward dishes, this is a fantastic vegetarian recipe suggestion to add to your roster. As are these Healthy Falafel Bowls and my Buffalo Cauliflower Bowls!
Black Bean Sweet Potato Taco Bowl Ingredients:
- Romaine lettuce – our base! Feel free to use rice or quinoa if you prefer.
- Canned black Beans. We love black beans and always have a can or two in the pantry. They’re a source of plant-based protein and a great source of fibre.
- Del Monte Mexican Corn Medley – a ready-to-eat blend of corn, red peppers and chilli peppers. It’s a quick, easy and versatile topping for bowls like this. They have 3 healthy and delicious Corn Medley varieties, Mexican, Southwest and Mediterranean.
- Spiced roasted sweet potatoes, chopped cherry tomatoes and diced avocado. Feel free to add any other veggies you like, sometimes we also add cucumber!
Love black beans? These Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Avocado Sauce is another favourite canned black bean recipe of mine. I also like to add them to nachos – including my 20-Minute Loaded Vegetarian Nachos.
How to Build a Taco Salad Bowl:
As a Registered Dietitian, I’m here to help you build a balanced and delicious veggie taco salad that will satisfy your hunger and your taste buds. Here are my tips:
- Start with a base. In this recipe, I used chopped romaine lettuce but you could totally substitute it for rice or quinoa if you want something a little more hearty. We do this often!
- Add your protein! The protein source in for our vegetarian taco salad is canned black beans, but you could also do pinto beans. For an animal protein option, try chicken, shrimp, or ground beef.
- Load on the veggies. We know how great vegetables are for us, so no explanation needed.
- Add toppings! The best part, right? We love to use herbs, condiments like sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), salsa, guacamole, and cheese!
Is Romaine Lettuce Healthy?
As you may have noticed, we use chopped romaine lettuce as the base of our taco salad bowls. Because its not a dark leafy green like spinach or kale, there are some misconceptions that romaine lettuce isn’t nutrient-rich.
Though it may not be as high in certain nutrients like fibre, romaine lettuce is still very healthy. A cup of romaine lettuce offers 16% of the daily value for folate, as well as 22% and 40% of the daily value for vitamin A and vitamin K, respectively. Romaine lettuce does still contain some fibre, offering 1 gram of dietary fibre per cup.
And, when you make a romaine lettuce recipe like this one, we’re adding various other vegetables and nutritious foods. So it makes a great base for healthy recipes.
How to Prep the Taco Salad Bowls:
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
Please let me know in the comments and leave a rating if you try this recipe! I love your feedback and it helps others find my recipes too. 🙂
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag @hannahmagee_rd if you share a photo of my recipes! There’s nothing better than seeing you make them.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Taco Salad Bowls
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 batch homemade fajita seasoning
For the Taco Bowls:
- 3 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium avocado, diced
- 1 can Del Monte Mexican Corn Medley
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- optional toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro, green onion, sliced lime, salsa, cheese, jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toss sweet potato with avocado oil and spices. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, assemble taco bowls with lettuce, black beans, Del Monte Mexican Corn Medley, tomatoes, and avocado. Add sweet potatoes when finished baking.
- Top with sour cream and garnish with chopped cilantro, green onion and a wedge of lime. Other optional toppings: Cheese, jalapenos, salsa. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post was developed in partnership with Del Monte Canada, however all opinions are my own.