This recipe for Baked Sweet Potato Fries is simple to make and the perfect healthy side dish for any meal. For even more flavour, serve them up with this family-favourite homemade curry mayo!
Homemade Baked Sweet Potato Fries
There are not a lot of foods that I’m basically always in the mood for, but sweet potato fries are one of them. This is not to be confused for regular fries…regular fries, I could pass on. But sweet potato fries are on another level for me. Anyone else?
Now I love all forms of sweet potato fries. Fast-food sweet potato fries, gourmet sweet potato fries, frozen sweet potato fries, etcetera. The thing is, most days of the week I try to cook at home. It’s cheaper, I enjoy it, and I feel better when I cook my meals home most days of the week. This means I’ve had to learn to make perfect baked sweet potato fries at home.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
I’ve been baking homemade sweet potato fries for years now, and every so often my methods change a little – from the spices to baking temperature and time, etc. Recently, I’ve found myself making the most crispy on the outside, soft on the inside sweet potato fries that I can remember. So I figured I’d share how I do it!
Recently I have also been playing around with dips. I always love the spicy or garlicky mayos that they serve with fries at restaurants – so I made my own easy curry mayo to go along with my fries and dang, it’s changed the game.
All you need is a few simple ingredients to make these easy baked sweet potato fries with tangy curry mayo. They make the perfect healthy side dish for any meal. You can also use the curry mayo as a spread on your burger, sandwich, whatever! Just saying – get creative!
How to Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
Start by peeling, washing and chopping the potatoes. To make the perfect French fry shape, I always cut my sweet potatoes in half lengthwise first. Cut these halves in half length-wise again, and then slice into long fry-like shapes.
Repeat for each potato, and throw chopped potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with avocado oil and toss. Add garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, pepper and then toss again to coat the potatoes well.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange prepared potatoes evenly on each baking sheet, ensuring that there’s space in between each fry. This will help them crisp!
Bake the fries at 400F for approximately 40 minutes, removing from the oven halfway to flip them. Fries will be browned and crisp on the outside when done.
Serve immediately with homemade curry mayo!
How to Make Homemade Curry Mayo:
In a small mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, lime juice and curry powder. Whisk well to combine, then serve and enjoy!
More Healthy Side Dishes You’ll Love:
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Curry Mayo
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large pinch sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise of choice
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 – 1 tsp lime juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 1-2 baking sheets (depending on the size) with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, and then cut each half down the middle lengthwise again. Slice these potato quarters into long fry shapes.
- Add the sliced fries to a large bowl and toss with oil. Add garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and toss again to coat the fries. Lay the fries on the lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
- While the fries are baking, make curry mayo by mixing your mayonnaise, curry powder and lime juice in a small dish. Place in the fridge until fries are ready.
- At 20 minutes, remove fries from the oven and flip them to cook them evenly. Place back in the oven for another 20.
- Optional: when this time is up, increase oven temperature to 425F and bake for 2-3 more minutes. This will help make your fries extra crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes before serving as they will be hot! Enjoy!
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
If you tried these Baked Sweet Potato Fries or any of my recipes let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more!