Baked Greek Yogurt Jalapeno Popper Dip
Warm, creamy, and cheesy with a little kick – this Greek Yogurt Jalapeno Dip is bound to be a crowd pleasing appetizer! Made with roasted jalapeños, plain Greek yogurt, and light cream cheese, this baked dip recipe is a healthier, higher protein version of jalapeno popper dip! Serve it with chips, veggies, or crackers.
If I had to choose an appetizer and only one appetizer to eat, it would definitely be a dip. If we’re getting specific, it would be a warm and creamy baked dip of some sort. Even better if there’s cheese and it’s bursting with delicious flavours in every bite.
Oh, did I just describe this Greek Yogurt Jalapeno Dip? Yes, yes I did.
Just like my Baked Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip with Greek Yogurt and my Baked Greek Yogurt Spinach and Artichoke Dip, this Jalapeno Popper Dip with greek yogurt is a lightened-up and higher protein dip recipe.
Being a Registered Dietitian, I love finding ways to make healthier appetizer recipes that taste just as good as any other appetizer recipe. And not to toot my own horn, but I’ve definitely succeeded with this one.
Why Make Greek Yogurt Jalapeno Dip?
“Why should I make this dip?” “What is it that makes it healthier?”
Well, let me tell you:
- Greek Yogurt: If you’re trying add nutrition to your cooking, reduce saturated fat, or increase the protein content, making recipes with Greek yogurt is so helpful. I love using it instead of ingredients like sour cream or mayonnaise. It adds protein and extra micronutrients like calcium, riboflavin, and vitamin B6. And you really can’t taste the difference!
- Light Cream Cheese: Another simple swap to reduce saturated fat without really noticing a difference. I still wanted to use some cream cheese in this baked dip recipe (it melts nicely and contributes to the creaminess), so I opted for light instead of full fat. This is what we usually have on hand at home anyways!
- It’s Homemade! Making things homemade (instead of eating out or ordering in) is a very simple way to make things more nutritious. You use fresher ingredients and can still make really, really delicious things while maintaining control over the sodium, sugar, and saturated fat content (all things we want to be mindful of!).
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Dip:
Do NOT be intimidated! There are a handful of different steps, but nonetheless this Jalapeno Dip recipe is really quite easy to make. All you need is about 45 minutes (we roast the jalapeños and then bake the dip), a mixing bowl, and an oven-safe baking dish.
The Baking Dish I Use:
Can You Make It Ahead of Time?
I personally think that the dip is best served hot right from the oven.
If you’d like to prepare it ahead of time, you can definitely follow all of the steps before baking up to 24 hours before. Then, just pop it in the oven and bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes right before serving.
I have reheated leftovers to eat the day after baking (in the microwave), and while it was still totally delicious, it’s definitely best enjoyed fresh from the oven.
More Greek Yogurt Dip Recipes to Try:
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip with Greek Yogurt
- Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Greek Yogurt
- Baked Kale and Artichoke Dip with Greek Yogurt
- Healthy 7-Layer Bean Dip with Greek Yogurt
- High Protein Greek Yogurt French Onion Dip
- 5-Minute Greek Yogurt Tzatziki Dip
- Whipped Feta Dip with Greek Yogurt and Roasted Tomatoes
Connect with Hannah Magee, RD!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think by leaving a rating and a review in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to take a photo and tag me at @hannahmagee_rd so I can re-share on my stories!
Baked Greek Yogurt Jalapeno Popper Dip
For the Roasted Jalapeños:
- 3 medium/large jalapeños, or 4-5 small
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
For the Jalapeno Popper Dip:
- Oven-safe baking dish 11×7 inch, or 8×8 inch
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wash jalapeños, slice in half, and remove seeds/insides.
- Add the sliced jalapeños to an oven-safe baking dish, toss with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onion, salt and spices.
- When the jalapeños are roasted, remove carefully from the baking dish (they'll be hot) and chop in to small pieces. Add these to the Greek yogurt mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Top the dip mixture in the baking dish with the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the whole wheat panko crumbs and olive oil until well-combined.
- Sprinkle the panko mixture evenly on top of the shredded cheese. Optional: Top with extra jalapeno slices.
- Bake the dip in the oven at 400F for 15-20 minutes until topping is golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve hot with chips, veggies, or crackers.