It’s been raining a lot here lately, which means more time spent indoors. Luckily for me, that’s an excuse to play around in the kitchen even more than I already do.
I recently purchased a donut pan on clearance at a local kitchenware store. In hindsight, it may be one of the best decisions ever made. So I tried my hand at chocolate donuts and the result was one of those “wow, I’m surprised this turned out as well as it did!” reactions. No complaints over here!
Now because these donuts turned out so well – I’m talking dense, cakey and sweet – I obviously had to type up the recipe to share with you. It just wouldn’t be right to keep such a good thing to myself, don’t you think?
There’s no real tips and tricks to go along with this recipe because honestly, they’re just that easy to make. Have you guys noticed a theme yet with my recipes? If there’s one thing I love, it’s simplicity.
The only thing I want to mention is the flour. I used a certified Gluten-Free flour for no real reason other that I had some on hand and why not share the love with my gluten-free peeps, right? Everybody deserves to have donuts! That being said, if you don’t follow a gluten-free diet please feel free to swap the G-free flour for traditional all-purpose flour if that’s what you have on hand.
While I didn’t initially glaze these donuts, the second time around I dipped them in a glaze mixture and it. was. perfect. So this is optional for you as well! I also find that the donuts taste fabulous drizzled with some melted peanut butter, chocolate or just as they are if you want to take the simple route. You do you! Either way, enjoy some damn delicious donuts! 🙂
Gluten-Free Baked Chocolate Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour can sub for all-purpose if not gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar can sub coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil or butter melted
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease your donut pan with oil or butter. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla and oil.
- Add wet ingredient mixture to dry ingredients. Mix together until well combined. On your greased donut pan, fill each donut section about 2/3 of the way full – allowing room for them to rise. TIP: Place donut batter in a piping bag or ziploc bag and cut the tip. Pipe the batter into the donut pan to get the best shape.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, until the donuts spring back when pressed gently. Cool on a wire cooling rack and in the meantime prepare your glaze (optional).
- To prepare the glaze, by whisking all glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. Place a piece of wax or parchment paper under your cooling rack and one at a time dip the cooled donuts into the glaze mixture. Place back on the wire cooling rack to let the glaze set.
As always, let me know how my recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram tagging me!