These apple crumble bars are an easy treat that will give you all the fall feelings. They’re made with healthy ingredients and vegan + gluten-free, so the whole gang can enjoy them!
When I think about fall, I think about pumpkins. But I also think about apples! One of my favourite fall activities is apple picking with family and friends. We snap some cute fall photos, and sneak an apple or two in the orchard because they’re just so irresistible right off the tree. There’s also nothing better than going home and putting those fresh-picked apples to use.
One of my absolute favourite ways to use our freshly-picked apples was always apple crumble. I love the crisp, sweet topping, and the cinnamon-y apples. I especially love it warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Today, I’m sharing a recipe inspired by apple crumble – apple crumble bars! They’re similar to my Strawberry Crumble Bars which are great for the summertime.
It’s like portioned out apple crumble, but with a crumbly oat crust. They’re oh so delicious, and made with a few “healthier” ingredients than your traditional apple crumble. Apple crumble typically calls for oats, which we know provide fibre, iron, and other important nutrients. I used almond flour to add some healthy fats, and also used coconut oil instead of butter (to make the recipe vegan)!
What’s great about this recipe
It’s quite easy to make! You make two separate mixtures using simple ingredients and then add them to a pan.
You can use whatever apples you have on hand! It’s great if you’ve got lots of apples on hand that you’re looking to use up.
Once cut, this dessert is already portioned out, so the bars are great to bring along and serve at a fall gathering!
Tips for making Apple Crumble Bars
Peel your apples! I find that doing so helps the apples soften better in the oven, and achieve a better filling texture overall.
Be sure to press the oat crust down firmly into the pan. This will help it stick together better, but it will still be crumbly!
I know it’s tempting to eat them right away, but try to let the pan cool completely before cutting the bars. Again, it will help them set and stick together better in the long run.
If you guys try this recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback! Leave me a comment letting me know how it went, or connect with me on Instagram!
Apple Crumble Bars (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
Oat Crust & Crumble:
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour (finely ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar can use coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 cups apple peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar can use coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all crust and crumble ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add your diced apples and remaining apple filling ingredients. Toss together until the apples appear coated with the mixture.
- Add two-thirds of the crust and crumble mixture to the bottom of your baking pan and press it evenly to cover the bottom.
- Add the apple filling to the pan and spread out evenly over the pressed down crust.
- Use your fingers to sprinkle the remaining crust/crumble mixture over top of the apple filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown on top.
- Let bars cool completely before cutting into 12 rectangular bars. Enjoy!