If you’re looking for simple, healthy popsicles that are a good source of protein, you’ve come to the right place! These 2-Ingredient Popsicles are the perfect summer snack.
It’s officially summer and I’m welcoming it with open arms! After a long, chilly spring season full of rain and fog I’m so ready to soak in each and every warm, summer day that mother nature gives us.
As the weather heats up, naturally we turn to cold, refreshing recipes. Nothing sounds more unappealing than a hot bowl of soup on a summer day, am I right? Frozen snacks and treats are great for a warm afternoon when you need something to cool you down. So I have the perfect one for you today – these simple, healthy protein popsicles!
About These Protein Popsicles:
These popsicles are the simplest of simple. Like, two ingredients simple. They take less than 10 minutes to prepare (followed by some time in the freezer of course) and they’re sweet, tangy and refreshing. Bonus, each popsicle has approximately 6 grams of protein. So not only can these popsicles help cool you down on hot summer days, they also make a healthy, satisfying snack that will keep you feeling full.
The Secret Protein Ingredient:
The protein content of these popsicles is thanks to a secret, high-protein ingredient…icelandic skyr. Never heard of it? Well, it’s probably in the yogurt section of your grocery store right now! Icelandic skyr is an Icelandic cultured dairy product, similar to yogurt. It has a consistency like greek yogurt, but I would argue that it’s slightly thicker. I adapted this recipe from the dessert queen herself, Sally’s Baking Addiction but used skyr instead and omitted the added sweetener.
Compared to greek yogurt, Icelandic skyr is actually higher in protein and lower in sugar. This is great because most flavoured yogurts have high sugar contents (while some is naturally occurring sugar from the milk, a lot of it is added). And no, added sugar is not the devil, but being mindful of added sugars is okay, and it doesn’t hurt to cut back where you can.
How to Make Simple, Healthy Protein Popsicles:
All you need to make these simple, healthy protein popsicles is a fruit of your choice, vanilla Icelandic skyr (or Greek yogurt), a blender or food processor, and popsicle moulds. The one that I use is from Amazon! If for some reason you can’t find skyr, a Greek yogurt will do as well.
To make the popsicles, you just blend or process your fruit of choice to a smoothie-like consistency. Then gently stir the blended fruit into a bowl with your skyr or greek yogurt. Pour this mixture into popsicle moulds and then freeze for a minimum of 4-6 hours – I like to leave them overnight so they’re nice and frozen!
Which Fruits Should You Use?
I have tested this recipe on separate occasions with blueberries, raspberries and peaches – all resulted in equally delicious, protein-rich popsicles.
I think that cherries and mango would also be fabulous in this recipe so go ahead and get creative with it!
More Summer Recipes to Enjoy:
If you’re looking for more summer-friendly recipes (aka no baking/cooking required), here are some ideas:
Connect with me!
Wishing you all a great summer ahead! If you give this recipe a try, be sure to leave me a comment below – let me know which fruit you used!
2-Ingredient Protein Popsicles
- Blender or food processor
- 1 cup fruit of choice I like blueberries or peaches
- 1 cup vanilla Icelandic skyr can sub greek yogurt
- Wash and if needed, dice up the fruit of your choice. Place fruit in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed until nearly liquified – you should reach a smoothie-like consistency.
- Scoop the vanilla skyr into a mixing bowl and pour blended fruit on top. Gently mix everything together. Do not fully blend the skyr and fruit if you want a swirly look to the popsicles!
- Pour mixture evenly into a popsicle mold. If your popsicle mold has little slots for sticks, insert them before freezing. If not, place in freezer for about 2 hours then put a wooden popsicle stick in the middle and freeze another 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Run the popsicle molds under hot water to remove from molds easily. Enjoy!